Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I could give you a workshop method, but it involves a cold chisel/lump hammer to force the edge of the inner bearing outward, on the stub axle. However, it is difficult, and a method which requires pratice so as not to damage the stub axle, or oneself! GOOGLES, GLOVES, Health and Safety paramount. The edge of the chisel is rendered pretty useless, and requires heat treatment prior to re-shaping, re-sharpening.Or scrapping,depending on your economy!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'd have my angle grinder on that by now.
You just need to make it thin on one side.
Just before you go through the metal will go blackish.
The shell will then open up and will come off with ease.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Agreed, sure-fire method of removal. It's the fact I have a permanent eye problem requiring frequent hospital treatment, that makes me wary of 'Me' Makita , but yep, it works

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well spotted!
I don't even seem to be able to change a bulb without drawing blood. All adds to the fun.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah, me too mate. Just a little tip, don't let the brake calliper hang like that, it puts too much strain on the flexible hose, make a hook out of a wire coathanger to support it.:tut:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That looks like a neat job & nice to see a bit of spilt blood.
Was it a cut from the sharp metal or a horrendous accident with the angle grinder?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Quicksnack, did a great job on the hub/bearings, proved you've plenty of oxygen in your blood, nice bright red. What's the next job planned on your cherished machine? Keep us posted, zf

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fortunately it was just a shard of metal from the hub that caused the blood, I dread to think what would have happened if it had been caused by an angle grinder.

Next jobs? have finally got the bushes out of the swing arms and spring pan, so, put in new bushes, re-assemble, free up brake pads, do other hub, then new track rod ends at the front and off for a four wheel alignment. Can't wait to feel how it drives after all that. Just in time to take it for its MOT!

Can anyone recommend where I could take it for the wheel alignment in the Twickenham area?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Can't help help with your location, try to ensure that tracking adjustment is done by adjusting both track control rods,for an even configuration. You probably are aware of this, as it's pretty old hat stuff in this day and age, just thought I would mention it, sorry to bore on!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts