Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

I have a problem with my '00 156 2.4 jtd. When turning sharp left or manuevering backwards with right lock, the balance weights of the front left wheel are hitting the suspension in the circled area in the picture below, and i am hearing a knock. There is no problem when turning with lower speed, only when the load from cornering is stronger or reversing with full lock. Last year i replaced the right wheel bearing - there were no whining noises but it was knocking and had a huge play in it. Can this be due to the left wheel bearing having play in it and needing to be replaced, or there is some other problem? Also is there a way to check the wheel bearing myself?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The gap between the wheel rim and upright shouldn't vary. For it to do so the bearing would have to be so far gone as to make the wheel wobble. If it were that bad the car would be undrivable.

Are the wheels original and what is the offset?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rims are original 15 inch teledials. Guess its best to visit the local mechanic

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Wheel jacked off the ground, check for free play by grasping at 3 and nine o'clock positions and also 12 and 6. Any free play should be investigated and don't confuse with bushing compliant or bush/balljoint wear. Verify with fingers though wheel holes to be able to feel relative movement between brake disc and the caliper carrier which would point to bearing free play.

The low resolution picture shows a highlighted area which would be the last area to be fouled b the wheel as the upright bends outwards so the tyre would be fouling the whole time.

Bearings usually make lots of noise when worn though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the mechanic today, he explained that this is normal and recommended that I balance the wheel at a different place, so I did and now there is no knock and everything is fine. But still I don't think it is normal for this gap to vary with load, doesn't this mean that the camber is also changing during cornering, which this double wishbone suspension is designed to avoid? Eh, maybe im just overthinking it, after all this is a 19 y.o. car...

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The theory is it shouldn't move but in practice it can move very slightly. This is why very worn brake pads can often make a rubbing/scraping sound on full lock. Any geometry change is minute so not worrying about. It is possible there is slight wear in the bearing up it is not yet cause for concern.

The balance weight must have been fitted really poorly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts