Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have just been informed by my garage that I am in need of 3 new tyres (1 illegal and 2 near the limit) and will need a 4th one soon. My question is this, I see 3 options,

the easy route and get 4 new tyres. (are standard GTV 16" alloys) probably going to be near £400

look for a new set of alloys with tyres, probably 17" for £400-£500 as I would have to spend nearly this much on tyres anyway

or look for a set of Alfa wheels and tyres (teledials preferably, i know not very original but love the look!)

What do people think I should do? Anyone know how much teledials and tyres normally go for?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked out your link, as nice as those wheels are I think they are out of my price range once 17" tyres are added on.
Would look great on the GTV though I reckon.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Too rich for me at the momment as well, it's like working in a sweet shop but without having the pocket money.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Some places offer discount when you buy 4 tyres at once (Costco for example), but yes, I'd see if you can get some 17 Teledials. Ask Autolusso, they might have a set, or eBay, but they don't come up too often...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You could shop around for some wheels but in my opinion the only route would be for some teles but very rare. And if you up to 17's then next time tyres will be far more expensive. If it's a cost thing check blackcircles and mytyre maybe some mid range fk 452's are in order. Less than 250 fitted when I last looked

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. Are those Falkens good then? Obviously dont really want budget specials, but also dont want to pay £100 for a Continental.
Something with good dry grip.

·
Registered
484 Posts
a good set of teledials r usually about 500. its not so much the price its finding them u'll have trouble with! good tyres for 16s shouldnt be as much as 400? 16s should be around 60-70 a tyre.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
Thanks for that. Are those Falkens good then? Obviously dont really want budget specials, but also dont want to pay £100 for a Continental.
Something with good dry grip.
The falkens are great, i use them and had them on my scooby.
I have just had to buy 4 new tyres (why didnt i get the tracking sorted)
picked up 4 17" alloys with good tyres for £150 off ebay:cool:

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I will agree with the Falkens being great as well.

£66 each from Blackcircles in 205/50 R16 and that includes fitting and balancing.

They also give a 10% discount for 4 tyres.

I make that £237.60 all in for 4 :thumbs:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you both. Looks like that will be the better option, half the price of a new set of alloys.Have had a look for teledials and cant find a set anyway.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I don't mind the 16" wheels TBH, they are a smoother, easier to clean and the tyres are cheaper.

Plus they are less of a worry, as if they get damaged they are easier/cheaper to replace ;)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if you are limited to a budget then stick with the wheels you have and get some decent tyres, the 17" wheel packages that you see for £400 - £500 will always come with terrible tyres, they usualy have ultra low price ditchfinders fitted at those prices as a good set of 17" tyres will cost nearly £400 on their own :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ive got a similar situation,except its because my tyres are just crap.So,ive paid £100 for a set of nice nackered wheels 18",£220 for a strip to metal and start again refurb in anthracite,and 4 part worn run flat tyres for £35 a piece fitted.One way to go?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Ive got a similar situation,except its because my tyres are just crap.So,ive paid £100 for a set of nice nackered wheels 18",£220 for a strip to metal and start again refurb in anthracite,and 4 part worn run flat tyres for £35 a piece fitted.One way to go?
Run Flat tyre's should only be used on Run Flat rim's, the bead lip is of a different design to enable the tyre to stay on the rim.
Another thing is, if you think the ride is hard on your Gtv now, if you did fit Run Flat's on it the ride will suffer consideribly due to the tyre construction.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GTVLee, is that £220 to completely refinish all 4 wheels? Sounds pretty good to me. Mine have marks all over them so was one factor pushing me towards getting new ones. But I like the idea of mine (the standard flat 16", mostly solid wheels) being refurbed and and in a polished finish but always thought it was really expensive. Has anyone had standard Alfa alloys polished?

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
Run Flat tyre's should only be used on Run Flat rim's, the bead lip is of a different design to enable the tyre to stay on the rim.
Another thing is, if you think the ride is hard on your Gtv now, if you did fit Run Flat's on it the ride will suffer consideribly due to the tyre construction.
I have to agree there, an ex had runflats on her X3 with M Sport suspension, the ride was shockingly bad, worse than my lowered/stiffened subaru:tut:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts