Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the effects of bad wheel alignment ? Obviously you get the odd tyre wear but what other symptoms ?

I had my car lowered and was told it was done but since ive added 18" i get this very strange hollowing sound on some tarmac, Could this be a symptom.

Im thinking of going to get the 4 wheels laser geo check, but before spend £50 i thought i'd ask.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
What would be the effects of bad wheel alignment ? Obviously you get the odd tyre wear but what other symptoms ?

I had my car lowered and was told it was done but since ive added 18" i get this very strange hollowing sound on some tarmac, Could this be a symptom.

Im thinking of going to get the 4 wheels laser geo check, but before spend £50 i thought i'd ask.

Noise could simply be the lack of profile on the tyres or even simply the tyre tread pattern if it only happen on certain types of tarmac. Far less sidewall now to take out any small shocks, so it sounds and feels like you have solid tyres ... 17" may have been better.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ITs strange as i wouldnt call it a road noise, it like a hollow air whoosh noise lol But then if its on only different tarmacs it must be the tyres ? So i was wondering if the alignment was out being the tyre not sitting flat on the tarmac.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Lowering will create more negative camber (ie angle of wheel: further in at top than bottom). The correct toe-out for fronts should be 0 degrees. Some charts in alignment places will not show this but it is the recommended Alfa spec now.

Might still be worth getting the alignment checked/adjusted as changing the suspension parts will always alter it very slightly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
as you sure the tyre is not sitting flat could be the camber angle, if you had the the car lowered you may need to add negative camber to correct the angle i am sure there must be a kit to do this

get the alignment checked this will confirm it

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
You can't change the camber unfortunately ... you just have to live with the -ve camber. Adjusting to zero toe will reduce the amount or scrub and wear in the inner edges though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think you can get kits googled

found this

http://www.srbpower.com/hr/springs.php?Make=ALFA+ROMEO

and found this don't know if it applies to the gt

RT Camber adjusters, or the mod described by Paul Mitchel in European car mag., cutting the spacers between the lower A-arms and subframe. Since un upper ball joint was bad and had to be replaced, they used one for the Alfetta that is off-centered and allows for some more camber adjustment after installed. The alignement came just right within recommended tolerances!, and did not have to give up on dampening - or gain in rigidity. It appears that if you install de RT bushing you provide rigidity to part of the system, but the lower arm still has bushing play, hence risking too much strain on the aluminum upper bushing, and possibly crack! this is only theoretical, though.
another 20-30 lire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts