Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a great summers evening blast from my Mum and Dad's back to Bristol on one of my favourite roads and it inspired me as to where else I might be missing out on :cool:

So my first nomination is the A46 from Nailsworth down to the M4 at Junction 18 (Bath).

And another fave is the B4425 from Cirencester to Burford.

Your nominations please :D

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
So my first nomination is the A46 from Nailsworth down to the M4 at Junction 18 (Bath).
I second this as being a fantastic stretch of road!! Windows down, sun shining, sunglasses on and some Foo Fighters/30 Seconds To Mars playing, and its alot of smiles for your miles :D

Great choice :thumbs:

·
Registered
999 Posts
How about the B3306 between St. Ives and St. Just? Especially first thing in the morning before it gets clogged up with emmits.

Google Map

Have to say it is a nice bit of road and I just happen to live there.
Though it does depend on what car you are in.We took the Cerbera on that route with the club after our xmas do........IT WAS F**KING AWFUL!! :mad:
However, the Gtv would be more suited. So if anyone is up for a blast on that road and end up at Lands End for a beer..............count me in :thumbs:

Gareth

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks damn good on the map :p I'm down in Falmouth first weekend of July, I might just make the trip over and go for a blast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I second this as being a fantastic stretch of road!!
Thirded! Only a few miles from where I live so I drive that stretch quite often.

I also enjoy a good blast along the A384 between Dartington and Buckfastliegh when I'm down that way. Not often that it's quiet enough to put your foot down, but good fun when it is!

The A39 between Clovelly & Bude is another favourite.

And the all to short strech of the A38/A380 going up (and down) Telegraph/Holden hill is always fun. Well nearly always, there's a 40 limit on there at the moment.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
The A39 between Clovelly & Bude is another favourite.

And the all to short strech of the A38/A380 going up (and down) Telegraph/Holden hill is always fun. Well nearly always, there's a 40 limit on there at the moment.
Agree on both of those routes :cool:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Puddletown bypass. Mainly because it means I'm nearly home (live in Puddletown). Watch out for the cameras/coppers on the on ramp after the A354 turn off though.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Bugger all,in Hertfordshire.I prefer riding my bike,most of the time,given the number of speed humps,poorly surfacedr oads,traffic,and speed cameras.:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a new favourite stretch of road! Thought I'd try driving back home to North Cornwall from Bath taking the A39 pretty much the whole way. Boy am I glad I did! The A39 between Minehead and Barnstaple is absolutely brilliant. The road cuts through the top of Exmoor national park and the views are epically stunning. There's the Atlantic coast with massive cliffs on one side and moorland valleys on the other.

The road itself is pretty good too. Hairpin bends, swooping curves and straights cling to the side of cliffs and valleys. Just don't look down! Majestic stuff. Brilliant! :thumbs:

from:minehead to:51.219357,-3.80127 to:barnstaple - Google Maps

·
Registered
485 Posts
I second this as being a fantastic stretch of road!! Windows down, sun shining, sunglasses on and some Foo Fighters/30 Seconds To Mars playing, and its alot of smiles for your miles :D

Great choice :thumbs:
You're not wrong there Simon, and the A46 is good all the way to Cheltenham, way better than the M5/M4.

Another fave is the A40, Gloucester to Ross-on-Wye with a solid 4.5m stretch of twisties.:thumbs:
And the A436 Andoversford to Bourton on the Water, not in the dark with GTV headlights though!:eek:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I have a new favourite stretch of road! Thought I'd try driving back home to North Cornwall from Bath taking the A39 pretty much the whole way. Boy am I glad I did! The A39 between Minehead and Barnstaple is absolutely brilliant. The road cuts through the top of Exmoor national park and the views are epically stunning. There's the Atlantic coast with massive cliffs on one side and moorland valleys on the other.
The Atlantic Highway! Went to Appledore on my honeymoon last month and thought that was a great stretch of road too.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Please note that the following request has received permission from the AO Administrators.......

Hello fellow Alfisti in Devon

I wonder if I may ask you (and your friends and family), please, about their experiences of accidents and near misses on the N Devon Linkroad? I am particularly interested in winter time accidents and near misses, but don't restrict those not caused by inclement weather.

My Daughter had a recent, blackice (police report) carsmash, when using this trunkroad in otherwise dry,clear, cold conditions. 2 other members of my family are also injured.

My Daughter has a lifechanging injury

IMHO, my continuing researches, (into causes, salting-services & council-controls, etc ) allow me to conclude that the decision to salt or not to salt Devon roads could be skewed by Council policy to avoid waste, i.e. salt & money.

That scares me.

If I'm correct, I believe that the policy must be challenged.

I believe that my researches will be more productive if more informed-opinion can be obtained, and shared, especially when it is via a respected Forum. Particularly if we can gain knowledge of specific locations which are prone to accidents and near misses

Please use Private Messaging or seek my phone number, if it will help. All contact will treated as strictly confidential.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Please note that the following request has received permission from the AO Administrators.......

Hello fellow Alfisti in Devon

I wonder if I may ask you (and your friends and family), please, about their experiences of accidents and near misses on the N Devon Linkroad? I am particularly interested in winter time accidents and near misses, but don't restrict those not caused by inclement weather.

My Daughter had a recent, blackice (police report) carsmash, when using this trunkroad in otherwise dry,clear, cold conditions. 2 other members of my family are also injured.

My Daughter has a lifechanging injury

IMHO, my continuing researches, (into causes, salting-services & council-controls, etc ) allow me to conclude that the decision to salt or not to salt Devon roads could be skewed by Council policy to avoid waste, i.e. salt & money.

That scares me.

If I'm correct, I believe that the policy must be challenged.

I believe that my researches will be more productive if more informed-opinion can be obtained, and shared, especially when it is via a respected Forum. Particularly if we can gain knowledge of specific locations which are prone to accidents and near misses

Please use Private Messaging or seek my phone number, if it will help. All contact will treated as strictly confidential.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Thank you in advance.
Ok, some readers, but no replies:( . Mmmmmm. Thank you for looking.....it would be good:thumbs: to have your opinions, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm afraid that due to the nature of my work I can't help you out with this. I'm sorry to hear about your tragedy and I hope you get the result you're after.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I don't know the road numbers but i like the back roads from Stonehenge across Sailsbury plains to Frome, GREAT FUN. :D

J

·
0 Posts
A303 by Marsh, a small stretch of twisty, first thing in the morning when there is no one around it is great to use the whole road..

The road between Chepstow and Coleford in the Forest of dean, part of it is called the tydnham chase, again a cracking road.

·
Registered
381 Posts
yeah i live in tetbury so in the middle of these nice roads and they arenice if you have soft suspension,the views are great and the way the roads go are great but the condition of the surface of the tarmac is awfull.blame the council,i have countlass kinks in my speedline wheels from where i have hit massive pot holes on a roads around here and it get on my nerves big time that i pay nearly £200 a year in tax.how about i keep the £200 my self and buy my own tarmac to put in pot holes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts