Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday did a small test, after 1 hour and 20mins, driving as economically as possible 25-60mph , on the A10 and through Enfield I managed to clock in a 46.0MPG in my 159 1.9 JDTM.

Personally I think this is pretty decent, was just curious what other peoples best MPG is in the 159 / Brera, maybe even comparing those with mapped and non remapped cars.

This is 150bhp, non mapped. According to the ECU I get a range of 150 miles with £10.00 worth of diesel (standard).

Joe.

Attachments

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
It depends when I reset the counter!

The best i had was 43 mpg on a return trip to/from Birmingham

I have reset the counter on a motorway drive and had 60mpg as the average but it soon dropped after hitting traffic.

I'm showing 40mpg after a 5-6 week commute of 70 ish miles (round trip) but a lot of that is in slow traffic, so it's not too bad, considering.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Yesterday did a small test, after 1 hour and 20mins, driving as economically as possible 25-60mph , on the A10 and through Enfield I managed to clock in a 46.0MPG in my 159 1.9 JDTM.

Personally I think this is pretty decent, was just curious what other peoples best MPG is in the 159 / Brera, maybe even comparing those with mapped and non remapped cars.

This is 150bhp, non mapped. According to the ECU I get a range of 150 miles with £10.00 worth of diesel (standard).

Joe.
That's good, but as you said, you were being economical :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
With the 1.9 JTDM 16V Qtronic (auto), I am averaging 38 mpg overall for 1500 miles per month. That's a daily rural commute of 15 miles each way, and a few hundred miles at a weekend to umpire a hockey match or two. The computer is within a few % of the brim-to-brim calculation.

Leaving home and getting on the motorway, the trip mpg climbs to about 45 mpg after 30 miles or so, then gets even better over the 20 miles of 50 mph on the M3. By the time I get to Sunbury it often betters 50 mpg. But, as Stan Laurel says, it drops back towards 40 mpg once we get into roundabouts and traffic lights.

I haven't been recently, but I used to have a regular trip via Milton Keynes, where all those roundabouts are absolute death to fuel economy. If it shows 45 mpg entering the first roundabout, it'll be 35 mpg leaving the last: let's say 20 mpg for the 10 miles across town.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah makes sense regarding where / how you drive, I just always had the impression the 159 had poor MPG, often I'd see on comparison sites, Alfas getting something like 25-30 Urban and 35-40 motorway. Whereas Audis where pushing 40 and 50-55. Was interested if this was the case for all. Also wanted to gauge exactly how much better remaps had on their fuel economy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Never had one, but I get the impression that remaps and tuning boxes really mess up the trip computer's calculations. I'm guessing that initial impressions of economy are quickly dispelled at the pump.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Challenge accepted! :devious:

Nice readout though, I'll see what I can squeeze out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When i first got the 159 I had a trip from Scunthorpe down to Northampton and was very disappointed that at a steady 70-80 I only managed 42MPG. My Son's Civic on the same run did 59MPG! After a DPF removal and re-map I did the same journey and got 49MPG. I recently drove from Scunthorpe to the other side of Edinburgh and back and averaged 50.5 again - I'm confident that the figure is accurate(ish) as I made it there and back, which turned out to be just over 650 miles on less than a tank of fuel including sat in traffic going around Edinburgh and getting caught up in a closure of the A1 diverting me on to 'B' roads for a good 40 miles.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
50.0's a good figure, what / where did you get your remap Andrew?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brera 2.4 - enthusiastically driven/fast motorway driving it returns 43-44mpg, pretty much every tank full. Which I think is good.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
50.0's a good figure, what / where did you get your remap Andrew?
It was a local firm in Brigg - I asked for more of an economy bias to the tune but my main concern was to map out the DPF and EGR. Not sure but I would say that the DPF removal / gut had more effect than anything on the MPG but it certainly is not slow even without a performance biased map.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use fuelly.com to track every dribble of diesel that goes in my remapped (Angel Tuning) 2.4 JTDM (210 PS originally).
For the 7,121km I've driven it, I've returned 8.0l/100km metric or 35.3mpg in bushels and groats.

I live in a city, but she's mostly used for longer trips, we take the wife's little car for anything under about 5km.
On motorway-only runs I get maybe 6.3l/100km (45MPG) but as soon as I go over 120kmph or hit traffic, that goes away.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
My work journey plus other weekend etc on the trip puter is showing me about 34mpg. I did see 36mpg the other week but that was a one-off.
Never bothered with full to full.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Cant take a picture of mine as its messed up since the EGR delete and remap giving a reading of 85mpg but have worked it out to around 55 to 60 on my regular journey 1.9JTDM.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,531 Posts
Managed to get 32mpg out of the Brera on a long run once, but hell it was boring.

Reactions: Lord_of_beard

·
Registered
332 Posts
Research Garage in Nuneaton to Motormech in Brum... M6>A38(M)

peaked at around 52 before taking a slight detour due to the satnav calling a junction too late to pull off...

either way, 2.4 with EGR and DPF delete remap... cruise set to 70mph and managed it until town end of A38(M)

Attachments

Reactions: AlfaJoe92

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
This thread should be about the worst mpg you've ever had.
Who the hell buys an Alfa to drive like a pensioner?
Haven't a clue what my best or worst is...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have no photo, but with my 159 TI 2.0 JTDm 170, the best I ever did (and I was really, REALLY trying) was 47.1 mpg. This wasn't just on one run (which is misleading/academic in my view) but a complete full to empty tank test over about 650 miles.

But my god it was boring.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts