Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the controversy from my last post, 'What's wrong with BMWs?' (styling, or rather the lack of it). Thanks for contributions....

What is wrong with BMW bikes? Also an accident in the styling department! (and they're not alone!!)

He,he,he, Fire Away!

B

·
0 Posts
I actually quite like the BMW bikes! So much so that I'd probably put one in my top three bikes to consider if I was getting back on two wheels.

I think the huge advantage they have over their four-wheeled stable mates is an almost totally different image. I agree with you that they're far from pretty, but big trail bikes like the GS do look quite good in a quirky kinda way!

B

·
0 Posts
The engines sticking out of the sides are horrendous though :vomit:
Heh heh :lol: They are a bit ugly - amazing that the design has hardly changed since the early part of last century! Agricultural!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about their disappointing build quality and reliability. That's normally the case these days. Like some of the German car manufacturers, they've been dining out too long on a reputation for reliability that's starting to look very dated.

[Apologies for completely humourless post] :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
They're **** (despite what the press says about the RG1200 thingy wot-not) and they're ridden by snobs who think they're better than other bikers so don't 'nod' !! :mad:

Over and Out !! :D

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Actually I've a R100RS which I've had from new in 1979. The boxer engine is easy to work on, which has to be done rarely and once the gear-change is mastered can be done clutchless and clonk-free (most times) I still enjoy riding it but now only for pleasure and not for to and from work, although when ridden in the cold the cylinders make excellent feet warmers and offer some protection in the event of an accident. I've ridden 600 miles in a day fairly quickly and without too much rear ache. Pretty much most other BMW owners I've met since owning a BMW from 1973 have been ordinary people. I would have thought that most of us Alfa Romeo owners have had to put up with too many of the preconceptions of others to perpetuate stereotypes of our own.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The main problem tends to be that sodding quadrant badge on them which inspires so much hatred and disgust in me.

The sooner BMW die the sooner i'll be calm. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The re is one good thing I have to say about the 'traditional' RS flat twins: that they share some electrical components with my Duke and must therefore make useful parts donors! They're certainly not for scratching. The modern one's with parallel-link rear hub location might improve their behaviour but their technology is all heavy tourer andnot sports.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I see BMW bikes at The Ace Cafe, London, all the Trialies look the same! You can't say that when it's a Duke Day.

And then there's the BMW matching riding suit! What is going on here?? Nice bike to match the car Sir? (both BM) I don't think so!!

Dispite all the good things about BMW, mainly the engineering, they still haven't made anything to touch my heart. I rode a Moto Guzzi Griso a while back, now there's a bike! All the quirks of an Alfa, all the passion of an Alfa.

A

·
0 Posts
My bruv has a Guzzi 650 which needs regular care, but is a lovely touring bike. I liked the R60/75/90 series from thirty years ago, and they are really good touring bikes. The more recent the BMW bikes, the less I like them.

Now which of you has experience of the Russian BMW copy, the Ural. Well I have and they were flippin awful. If I knew how to post piccies I'd post a photo of one I helped restore with a friend for his trip behind the Iron Curtain in 1974. It was not a happy trip. It broke down in Poland, had to wait months for the parts from Russia, went out to see it on his Ducati 450 and had a bad accident leaving him with gammy leg for life. Not good when you are 19 really:(

I rode Suzukis out of financial necessity

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
How many of you have watched 'Long Way Round' with Ewan Macgregor and Charley Boorman doing a lap of the world on the BMW giant trail bikes? The Beemers might not be the prettiest, or the fastest, or the lightest, but I doubt any other bike would have made that trip. If they'd got KTMs like they wanted originally they'd probably never have made it out or the UK. There was a phrase to describe KTM bikes when I was doing the supermoto thing, and it went like this: KT-BOOOOMMMMM!

Of all the F650/Pegaso type bikes, I love the Aprilia Moto 6'5 best.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i breifly had a 100r which was knackered an when killing the engine the revs died off very slowly so you had a side to side shake when turning it off. really liked that :D but as for the stlye/performance etc of BMW bikes i was never particularly impressed.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Three things whats wrong "BMW",

As an ex biker, some (not all) BMW riders have the same illusions as their four wheeled cousins, ie ive got a beemer what you,ve got is ****.
Also the bikes are bloody ugly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts