Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I we have a 2010 147 2.0 Tspark. It broke a cam belt about 6 months ago and I've been slowly repairing it since then. It had bent valves, they're all replaced now and I've almost finished putting it all back together. I'd have to say it's gone better than I expected, I've found where everything goes even though some of it was originally taken apart by our local Stealership before I decided to go DIY on it. However I have got one damn mystery part! I just can't remember with this little thing goes. I seem to remember it having something to do with a hose (and thinking that it restricts the flow by being smaller) but it doesn't appear to have any coolant residue on it. It's a bit rusty on the outside but I think it will probably clean up alright. The top part looks like a rubber seal and strangely the top flange is on a bit of an angle.

I might have to un-button a few things to get it back where it belongs but I'm ok with that!

Any help greatly appreciated. In the mean time Ill keep browsing the manual.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On closer inspection Mystery Part is 2 parts, a washer type thing with a seal and a spacer type thing that looks like a sleeve maybe that a bolt might go through... Holy smoke! it looks a bit like one of those locator things that goes between the block and the head... surely it's not one of those - that would be my worst nightmare if I have to take the head off again! :irked:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I don't know. That said the ferrule looks like it is an external part due to corrosion so I cannot see it being inside the engine.

What size of bolt goes through the ferrule/spacer and washer?

For me the ferrule looks like the sort of thing for mounting the alternator. Other suggestions may be for an auxiliary belt pulley or coolant manifold (but it seems too big for that).

What were all the bits removed? e.g. Alternator, steering pump, engine/gearbox mountings or exhaust support.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Fruity, the hole is 10mm. It could be from a pulley but I didn't find any problems putting them back on, unless a new one came with my belt kit. It does look like it could be a spacer between a bolt and a pulley bearing - just a guess...

I removed the all the belts and pulleys. The intake and exhaust manifolds. Cam cover, injectors, throttle body & ECU, main air intake pipe. Head off, cams off and valves out. Also loosened but didn't remove the power steering fluid reservoir same with the plastic air intake part. All belt and engine covers.

I followed the manual as much as possible and used YouTube for the timing.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The first thing I think to check is the auxiliary belt idler pulley (if car has A/C). That spacer is around the right size for spacing the pulley away from the engine timing cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That could be it! I'm about to fit that pulley. So far I have the bolt in there but only finger tight as only a swan neck spanner will get to that bolt. Good luck trying to get a torque wrench on it!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
If you put your head roughly above the headlamp and look at the pulley, you should be able to see if it is correctly aligned with alternator and crankshaft so the belt runs straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts