Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gear indicator light will flash on and off a bit in first and second gear.drives all right,should i be breaking out the toilet paper guys?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New battery.sad to say,dont know how to check oil level but will look up on here,btw where do we get the stuff in essex(on the rock,canvey ).

D

·
0 Posts
your local fiat or alfa dealer will have it - tutella cs speed

or by post from shop4parts

For checking purposes its the cap on the right inner wing ( as you look at it from front ). Engine cold, turn key to MAR, unscrew cap and check

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
you can use any Dextron III based power steering fluid either, which is red in colour

M

·
0 Posts
Use cs speed oil only as there is a reason for these different oils as if you could use atf alfa would have used it from day one...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
yeah, alfa buy it for €1 per litre & sell it for €20 per litre

if you flush the entire system using a Dextron III based oil its fully compatible, mising might not be the best idea but if a person was stuck its a better option than nothing.

I have 2 customers selespeeds running with Dextron III oil

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
rather than chastising the poster why not help him. :eek:

to check the selespeed oil its quite easy:

to the RIGHT side of the battery, looking into the engine bay, there is a red or black coloured cap between the battery & the wing

this is where the selespeed oil goes.

how to dip it?

1. open the driver door, allowing the pump to prime,

2. open the bonnet.

3. just as the pump stops then open the filler cap & read the dip stick, which is attached to the cap.

if less than the MAX mark fill it up to the MAX, not much more over it.

the ENTIRE system takes approx 600cc, so a top up could be as little as 50cc :eek:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Believe me thats not chastising :tut: Its in the manual and well explained. If the car was bought without a manual then it should have been explained by the previous owner or the questions should have been asked. :rant:
Anyway I knew you would help Pat :) The hardest thing checking the oil level is that Alfa in there wisdom put a white dipstick in what is as good as see through oil. The oil should be checked when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i've heard so many horror stories of people people putting water into the 'squitter system' .... to find out later that they put the water into the selespeed system :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks for the help guys,in all honesty,i have had the car for four years and had it serviced by a indie an a regular basis.One assumed that this had been done as everything worked ok.it came to light when on way home from work last week.Anyway,got home from work tonight(get a lift this week) and had a look,fcuk me with a fishfork,bugger all to be seen apart from a smear on the end of me finger.have ordered a litre of the correct stuff from shop4parts and am awaiting delivery.Will not be using the old bird till this goes in,will let you all know.by the way,had a look on ebay for some and some bloke in london was knocking a litre out for 99p.dont know about that,could be a bit under the arm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts