Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now completed my 3.0 conversion I'm running a 2.5 q2 gear box . The ratios are a bit short , can any one suggest another v6 compatible box (that my q2 will fit) that has a higher 5/6 ratio.
Thanks in.advance
JJW

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
I have now completed my 3.0 conversion I'm running a 2.5 q2 gear box . The ratios are a bit short , can any one suggest another v6 compatible box (that my q2 will fit) that has a higher 5/6 ratio.
Thanks in.advance
JJW
166 3.0/3.2
GTV 3.0/3.2
Any GTA

But remember most GTV's and GTA's have had diff failure and a lot of gearboxes were replaced with 2.5 boxes as they are much cheaper, so don't assume if the box is coming out of a GTA or GTV it has the higher ratio you are looking for

Ned

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ned ,
you are a hero.
you don't happen to know the correct codes stamped on gta/gtv gear boxes

·
7,045 Posts
Ned ,
you are a hero.
you don't happen to know the correct codes stamped on gta/gtv gear boxes
Not stamped on the outside of the box, the gear ratios are stamped on the end of the gear shaft but you need to strip the gearbox down to see it, you can count the teeth but I can remember numbers

Ned

G

·
0 Posts
166 3.0/3.2
GTV 3.0/3.2
Any GTA

But remember most GTV's and GTA's have had diff failure and a lot of gearboxes were replaced with 2.5 boxes as they are much cheaper, so don't assume if the box is coming out of a GTA or GTV it has the higher ratio you are looking for

Ned
You forgot the strongest gearbox out the lot, the Aisin "Q-System" auto/ semi box.... As fitted to the Lexus 400 and Toyota Supra twin turbo, capable of handling 450+ bhp as standard....No need for a Q2 diff as there is no need with this box so you can sell your Q2 to finance the upgrade.... But I know nothing obviously;):D:thumbs:

·
7,045 Posts
You forgot the strongest gearbox out the lot, the Aisin "Q-System" auto/ semi box.... As fitted to the Lexus 400 and Toyota Supra twin turbo, capable of handling 450+ bhp as standard....No need for a Q2 diff as there is no need with this box so you can sell your Q2 to finance the upgrade.... But I know nothing obviously;):D:thumbs:
I would like to forget you mean?

Alfa with auto is just not right :rolleyes:

Ned

L

·
0 Posts
doesn't the GTV gearbox have differnet linkage connections to that of a 156/147/GTA?

G

·
0 Posts
Higher gear ratio's and better suited to the bigger 3.0 v6 torque curve and a failure rate of 1 in 10000 units. I know what I personally would put in... Wouldn't touch the 166 ZF auto with a barge pole. IMO they fitted the wrong auto box in the 166 when they had a gem of a auto box in the 156

I would tend to agree and disagree with the comment :"alfa with auto is just not right"
But... the same can be said with putting a "diesel" in an Alfa too and then giving a JTD a gearbox that is on the maximum torque limit as standard yet make it far to easy to re-map for more torque and power and expect the gearbox, clutch & driveshafts to cope with it????
Yet, how many avid supporters are there of diesel's and re-maps in Alfa's... In other words... It shouldn't work.... but it just does! Same as an auto box mated with a Busso V6, it shouldn't ... but it does!
Yee of little faith:cheese:
Don't knock it until you have actually lived with one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts