Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm totally fastidious about my GQV. I've been using either Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Mothers Carnuba Cleaner Wax on the paintwork (Alfa red).

Wondered if you had any other suggestions for good, long-lasting wax/polish products that do the business and keep swirls etc to a minimum?

Some polishes leave a residue or seem to 'stain' until they evaporate so would like to avoid these or the ones that cost a second mortgage to buy.

The car is occasionally clay-barred too!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
As far as I know a polish or wax won't prevent swirl marks. I use Harley Wax, it's good for the money and has Carnauba. You will have to clay bar before applying.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I find R222 Concours-look very effective and easy to apply and buff off. It doesn't stain the trim and rubber. No chalky residue.

I think what the OP was getting at was masking the swirls, which R222 does well.

For top up or when you simply want to apply a liquid wax and quickly buff off, I find Cartec Gold Wax easy to apply and then simply wipe.

Neither has seemed especially temperature sensitive, although both flash fast in the summer heat so only do a few panels at a time.

This is my 156 - I applied several coats of R222 at the start of the week and have been driving it since in very dusty conditions. Yesterday, I applied 10 coats of the Cartec, mainly because I was enjoying seeing how shiny I could get it:nuts:.

This is a 13 year old car which has only been clayed, decontaminated and washed. I'm doing the paint correction later this month after I've dealt with stone damage and marring.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
There is a vast range of alternatives to SRP but it remains a very good product. Ideally it should be followed by a wax or sealant eg Extra Gloss Protection which will increase the durability by quite a margin. To avoid staining on trim, there are several options, firstly tape up the trim or apply some AG Bumper Shine to the trim and do not buff it off, this will stop any SRP from touching the trim. AG Fast Glass can be used to clean off any fresh SRP from trim.

I use non staining products from Optimum but I do like SRP a lot

·
Registered
35,189 Posts
I'm very pleased with Swissvax , applied after the cleanser. The shine is very rich and it has protected from a couple of bird strikes of [email protected] months after applying it !

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Hi all,

I'm totally fastidious about my GQV. I've been using either Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Mothers Carnuba Cleaner Wax on the paintwork (Alfa red).

Wondered if you had any other suggestions for good, long-lasting wax/polish products that do the business and keep swirls etc to a minimum?

Some polishes leave a residue or seem to 'stain' until they evaporate so would like to avoid these or the ones that cost a second mortgage to buy.

The car is occasionally clay-barred too!

Thanks
I think Im using the same as you

·
Registered
35,189 Posts
The SRP is pretty effective , especially on cars that have been washed a few times as it has fillers apparently. The dust is irritating but followed by Supergloss Protectant can last well between buffings!
Applying the Swissvax by hand to a new car is quite a bonding experience though....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts