Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which is the best fuel to use?

Obviously I'm talking petrol here but is there any difference between the standard unleaded you find at the garage or the premium product they have?

Which paticular fuel company is best or does it make a difference?

What are the advantages?

Just performance or will it have a better effect on fuel economy or engine wear?

Will my Alfa appreciate having premium fuel and drive better or am I just wasting money?

Any comments please?

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
It won't make much difference to anything except for draining your bank account faster when you fill up!!.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
iv always run my cars on vpower, nothing in terms of power,but defo smoother and quieter. swapped back to normal fuel once and it hated it, and more mpg too,so taking into account the extra cost, it makes my car run smoother and quieter, as in no rattles etc.:thumbs:

R

·
0 Posts
i would love to try methanol like the single seaters use! I once ran a motorbike on paint thinners!!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yeah, normal engines would last about 5 mins if your lucky:lol:, be a good 5 mins though:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iv always run my cars on vpower, nothing in terms of power,but defo smoother and quieter. swapped back to normal fuel once and it hated it, and more mpg too,so taking into account the extra cost, it makes my car run smoother and quieter, as in no rattles etc.:thumbs:

SO who does Vpower? isn't that shell?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yep:thumbs:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Being a bit of a saddo, I did a couple of back to back fuel consumption tests with Shell Optimax a few years ago in my 156 2.0. Optimax (the equivilent of V Power today) gave about 3 mpg more and it felt as though the car was a bit livlier.
When you factored in the difference in price (about 5p/litre then), the Optimax came out on top. After a few months the price of Optimax went up and I stopped using it.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
The Spider loves V-Power. More lively and much smoother. Since it's the third car I just don't care about the cost.

For JTDs BP Ultimate is the best. Quieter engine (if that's possible), more power, smoother, even a bit more rorty at 4,000 rpm ....... honest:lol:

Avoid V-Power diesel though - more smoke, power down, complete bollards.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The Spider loves V-Power. More lively and much smoother. Since it's the third car I just don't care about the cost.

For JTDs BP Ultimate is the best. Quieter engine (if that's possible), more power, smoother, even a bit more rorty at 4,000 rpm ....... honest:lol:

Avoid V-Power diesel though - more smoke, power down, complete bollards.
hmm strange that, my mums loves v-power diesel:confused:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Being a bit of a saddo, I did a couple of back to back fuel consumption tests with Shell Optimax a few years ago in my 156 2.0. Optimax (the equivilent of V Power today) gave about 3 mpg more and it felt as though the car was a bit livlier.
When you factored in the difference in price (about 5p/litre then), the Optimax came out on top. After a few months the price of Optimax went up and I stopped using it.
except optimax was 98ron and v-power is 99ron i think? i dunno:lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i always use shell petrol (normal or v power) as i get much much better mpg out of itthan anywhere else. v power does tend to give me better mpg and a slight little bit more grunt, but not enough to warrent putting it in all the time.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i always use shell petrol (normal or v power) as i get much much better mpg out of itthan anywhere else. v power does tend to give me better mpg and a slight little bit more grunt, but not enough to warrent putting it in all the time.
the ecu should learn and over time get better and better the more you use, keep putting normal in and it will knock it back, mine hates normal ron fuel from anywhere now, hunts, coughs and splutters, like when you swallow something you dont like:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts