Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking of replacing my wife's old 18.T'spark 156 with a newer one. In particular, I'm looking at a 2.0 JTS "Turismo" on a '52 plate. Does anyone have any opinions on the 2.0 JTS engine? Is there anything in particular to look for? I gather it's completely different to the twin spark engines? Do they still drink oil and snap cam belts?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
I gather it's completely different to the twin spark engines?
Actually they are exactly the same engine, but with direct injection and only one sparkplug per cylinder and a higher compression-ratio.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My 2004 engine was wonderfull. Good low down grunt but the usual Alfa like top end:cool: Clare had a 2005 JTS and it wasn't as good. Both used plenty of oil though. A Veloce saloon in Red with optional 17" alloys & leather or a Ti would be the ultimate. Great cars:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually they are exactly the same engine, but with direct injection and only one sparkplug per cylinder and a higher compression-ratio.

Thanks - so it still has 2 cams, 16 valves and a variator? Presumably cam belt replacement at 36,000 miles too?

They seem to be quoted as making 165bhp which looks rather good. I notice another poster has kindly put a link to a thread on low power for the early ones but this will have had a replacement engine (I gather a piston let go!) from a 2006 car, so presumably all the low power isues will have been sorted out by then?

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I'm not convinced Alfa ever did sort the JTS out.

Should be interesting to see if the GT is down on power (2008 build).

Feels like it wants to go more than my 156 did (2003 build) but from what I gather from various people they are still down on power.

A

·
0 Posts
Did the 156 JTS engine have a variator? I was under the impression they didn't have VVT, but I could be wrong quite easily.

AlfaLincs

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
They do.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Thanks - so it still has 2 cams, 16 valves and a variator? Presumably cam belt replacement at 36,000 miles too?
yes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts