Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after I had the B12 kit fitted, the car hasn’t felt quite right on acceleration through a certain speed range.
When I am accelerating relatively hard through 50-60 mph in third or fourth I can feel a rumble/vibration through the car. This is more pronounced if I’m accelerating through a right hand curve and less so if on a left hand curve. It all feels fine and smooth up to the late forties but then gradually gets worse only to ease off again after 60.
I appreciate that the new suspension set-up is firmer and that I will feel more lumps and bumps but you can certainly feel this rumble/vibration through the seat and I have never felt this before with acceleration being smooth through all speeds and gears.
It has been suggested that maybe one CV joint is worn which would be the reason behind the severity according to the left or right hand bends.
Any suggestion would be most welcome as I need this sorted before the Monza trip in September. :confused:
Cheers

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It sounds a little similar to mine... rumbling noise and same sort of scenarios.. although mines always on right turns.. and seems to be connected to braking... and changing contours. So far, i've worked out it could either be the wheel arch liner rubbing on the top arm of the suspension (which it's doing occassionally, clear wear marks there.. just not convinced that's the issue, as it does it sometimes nowhere near full lock) .. or it could be a lose ARB / drop link (found my eibachs were fitted without spring washers, which can cause the thing to come loose).. or, someone else had an issue with a weight on the driveshaft being hit/rubbed by the ARB.

Another more left field suggestion - badly shimmed q2 diff (if you just had one fitted). Or, wheel bearing?

I'm just rehashing information & have no idea really.. but maybe something I say will help you think what the issue could be? Interested to see what you find too.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
It won't be the Q2. The diff was ok on that car one of the few that have been fitted properly.
Now where's that whoosh parrat when you need it :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely not anything rubbing or the Q2 because if I ease off the accelerator the rumble stops so it must be something to do with the transmission.......or just my paranoid mind!!!!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Here's an even more out there suggestion. Top engine steady bushes could be worn. They cause a vibration that could sound like a rumble.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't mean to sound obvious, but did you have a 4 wheel alignment after you had the suspension fitted?
Yup, that was all part of the deal with AutoLusso and I have no problems with it pulling one way or another and all the mountings feel secure and tight.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
Yup, that was all part of the deal with AutoLusso and I have no problems with it pulling one way or another and all the mountings feel secure and tight.
Hi mate, if I remember correctly your car is booked in for some work soon so we can look at all of this while it is in :thumbs:

Ned

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this on my car upon heavy acceleration. I changed all 3 bottom engine mounts and the noise has subsided. Also the previously slightly notchy gear changes and now smooth & precise.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Both the gearbox mount, top mount and O/S engine mount were replaced on the car last year. The N/S mount was also checked and was just fine.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Sounds very much like the cv that went on my 2.5. The giveaway is that it will just gradually get worse as you drive it. Mine started as a rumble on hard right hand acceleration, graduated to a rumble on gentle right hand acceleration, finally was there on any acceleration.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If I remember correctly one of the bearings may have been starting to grumble a bit, but not enough for an advisory on mot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds very much like the cv that went on my 2.5. The giveaway is that it will just gradually get worse as you drive it. Mine started as a rumble on hard right hand acceleration, graduated to a rumble on gentle right hand acceleration, finally was there on any acceleration.
Yup, that's just what I'm getting and pretty much confirms my thoughts on the CV joints although GTA has a point with a possible rumble on one of the bearings. As far as I remember I had one replaced a couple of years ago, so the other is still original.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
What did Feli find in the end fella? He mentioned to me that you were dropping off your GTA to him :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
interested to learn outcome of your case, as I am facing exactly same issues after having installed new suspension :(

In the meantime, outside CV on the right, and both CVs on the left side (incl axle) have been replaced, as well as the gearbox mount, but still the rumble is there...
(due to driving on right side of the street in Europe, right CV normally need replacement first overhere, whereas I would think left side would be first to go in UK)

I suspect the right inner-CV now, however that didn't have any tolerance (has been checked) so thus was not replaced :confused:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same problem.... New lowered suspension and now I get a vibration under acceleration.

Hi V6 6lfa, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts