Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all!

So after blessing the TS with a romp up to Scotland for Christmas she has decided to reward us with the most God-awful rattle. It only last for about 5-10 minutes (either idling or driving) but it comes back again when cold.

It ONLY rattles when starting from cold and gets progressively quieter to the point of sounding normal over 5-10 minutes of running.

The oil was low but never below the low marker.

The car has had new belts and variator and a full new clutch. There is nothing obvious but it sounds like a nut in the bottom of a washing machine!!!

Anyone got a clue?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Have you checked all of the heat shields? The exhaust? Does it sound like a variator rattle?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Open up cam cover and see what you can see with a torch light or falls out my imediate thought was a bolt as you already guessed it might be

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If it's deffo coming from the sump I wouldn't run it again.. until you've checked out the bottom end..
And it's best not to let the oil level go much below the full mark..ever..

"Bolt in a washing machine".. something come adrift from your new clutch maybe.. banging about in the bell housing..??

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Try and pinpoint the noise with a bit of hose/pipe in your ear and point the other end at different places around the engine.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'll also tell you what's handy, Maplin sell a keyhole fibre optic inspection camera, I picked mine up for £79.99, it's handheld with a 3 inch TFT and the optic is about 5 foot in length, I use it to poke around inside engines etc as it saves me taking something large off!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
i had the same problem a couple of years back, its just how you have described and gradually fades as the engine warms up, it turned out to be an idler on the belts, think it was only about 20 or 30 pounds to have fixed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If it helps when my cars clutch played up a few months back it sounded really awful. Also sorts of rattles and noises. All this was being caused by a spring breaking away from the clutch. The answer to this is, does you clutch and gears feel as they should?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had the same problem a couple of years back, its just how you have described and gradually fades as the engine warms up, it turned out to be an idler on the belts, think it was only about 20 or 30 pounds to have fixed.
I have discovered in was the balancer belt tensioner that had completely disintegrated, so you were the closest!

Huge thanks to Enzo at AUTOCASA, Coventry :thumbs: who identified the problem and saved Bella's bacon this afternoon. I am no longer in shock but it was terrifying to see that part literally fall out in to his hands when he jiggled it! If it (or any of the bits of it that were nowhere to be seen) had gone in to the timing belt she would have been a gonna!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts