Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,
After a balmy Autumn, winter kicked in last week here in Bulgaria with temperatures nose-diving below freezing overnight plus the first decent snow-fall. And the morning after was when I discovered a problem with opening the driver's door. My remote locking stopped working a while back - well, the signal from the remote works but doesn't lock the driver's door and the other three, having gone down, immediately spring back up. I've been getting by to this point using the key. But around 7.30 the other morning, after the big snow, I first couldn't get the key into the slot - it was like a solid obstacle in the way. I finally managed to prod it all the way in but I couldn't turn it. So I trudged back upstairs and fetched a bottle of hot water, poured liberally in the general vicinity of the door handle, tried again and, presto!, the key turned and all doors unlocked.

My question is, what's likely to be the cause of this blockage? I'm assuming something had iced up but what? And how is enough moisture reaching it to cause the mechanism to freeze up? And finally, is there some preventive measure I could take? The car lives outside and I can't spare it at the minute to get the remote locking functional again.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Condensation that then freezes...nothing you can do about it really apart from the jug of warm water fix.

Basically, the temperature drops overnight so condensation develops on the still warm metal surfaces...then it freezes.
Anyone who keeps a car in a carport or out side will have the same issue.
Only way is to keep in a garage where the temperature rises and falls slowly giving the car a chance to keep up with the temperature change.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Squirt some WD40 or similar in there once it’s thawed out. It helps a bit. Probably worth spraying some silicone lubricant on the door seals too as the weather is getting colder. The locks never played up, but the doors used to freeze shut surprisingly often on ours.

Worst problem was handbrake cables freezing up though. Once the boot splits, you get water in them, once this freezes, you aren’t going anywhere until it thaws out. In the past, I would either use a hairdryer or if one was handy, another car, parked so the exhaust was aimed at the general area of the cable on the Alfa and let it run for a bit. That seemed to work quite well.

I never seemed to be able to remember not to put the handbrake on in winter :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts