Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked by another forum member the other day what makes the GTV Cup different from standard GTV’s.

I’ll try to answer that if I can, most of this information has come from the internet and some from Alfa themselves. If you know of any other facts please add to the thread or if any of the information I give is incorrect please feel free to correct me

Firstly why Cup, Alfa wanted a GTV race series and the only way to achieve this was to build a minimum number of 200 specials to homologate the model and allow an official race series, Hence the name CUP.

The Cup came in two variants the Rhd Alfa Rosso 3.0 V6 of which 155 were imported in to the UK and the rarer Silver Lhd 2.0 Turbo of which I believe some 70 where built.

Externally the main differences from a standard GTV is the body kit which has

1. Heavy front splitter
2. Wider colour coded side skirts
3. Side ducts in the front wing
4. Tail spoiler

And my personal favourite are the limited edition wet look 17" Teledials. It’s difficult to see in photographs but if you put a standard Tele next to a Cup Tele they look darker and with more shine.

Another difference is the Pininfarina badge it has the script as well as the shield meaning the Cup was assembled and modified by Pininfarina at their studio workshops.

Internally the Cup has limited edition half leather Momo seats the give more lumbar support than the regular GTV seats and leather inserts in the door cards

And finally the dash plaque and mine says 120.

Thanks
HM ;)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
happy man said:
Another difference is the Pininfarina badge it has the script as well as the shield meaning the Cup was assembled and modified by Pininfarina at their studio workshops.
I don't think that's only the Cup, though - I think all the 'normal' GTVs and Spiders built there have the crest as well as the script.

So everything built from when they moved production (late 2001?) has the crest, I think.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jamie, Alfie didn't know that other GTV's had the sheild just knew if it had both Pinin had done some of the assembly :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I was asked by another forum member the other day what makes the GTV Cup different from standard GTV’s.
Hello..... twas me !! :D :D

:lol:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't remember if t'was your good self or Mr K ;)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Yup... I wanted to know as was wondering if my neighbours 'puke' yellow GTV was a Cup or not !! ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it aint got one of these it's not a Cup ;)

And if any one was sad or evil enough to fake one then shame on you :tut:

They didn't come in Yellow ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
You haven't mentioned it's off road abilities HM. :p

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Administrator
46,103 Posts
I can confirm the pininfarina details you've stated.

Script = built at pinin factory

Badge = designed by pinin

hence the Coupe only having the script.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I can confirm the pininfarina details you've stated.

Script = built at pinin factory

Badge = designed by pinin

hence the Coupe only having the script.
...other way round, I think. Unless mine was built by Pininfarina and designed by someone else. ;)

Script = designed by Pininfarina
Crest = built by Pininfarina

No?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Cup near to me currently in AT - £7200 ono for a 52 plate with 60k miles. Looks good - Apparantley he has been offered full asking price though, and is waiting on the bankers draft. He will call if it falls through!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Happy Man, are the Cup's seats as comfortable as the more humble GTV's on long journies?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes they are :D
I had a P1 like yours and never agreed with the people who constantly bang on about the GTV having crap seats and an uncomfortable driving position.

The improvement is in the side support and lumbar support very like the current GT seats they grip you more when cornering probably adapted from the race bred GTV Cups

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I mean is copying the badge to de fraud is :tut:

But copying the body kit is quite flattering really

Dougie £7k is cheap for a Cup considering how rare they are and IMHO they are a future Classic that will appreciate in value :)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts