Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got me a 4-pot '45 1.8 T-Spark while I sort out the brakes on my 155 v6 ICBM device :D

The only things wrong with it :D were that the thermostat didn't work (temporarily solved by a 18" square piece of cardboard in front of the radiator) and most of the bulbs in the dash had burnt out and the geezer hadn't replaced any of them (?)

Anyhow, I replaced all the bulbs (@£2.50 each!! :eek:) and stuck in a new thermostat (hooooooooooow much???? :eek: :eek: ) complete with some new pink stuff and now we're rocking and rolling.. :)

But I noticed that the temperature gauge only ever gets to about 76C. I was expecting it to get to 80C as that's marked on the temperature gauge. Is this normal? In other respects the thermostat works fine .. gets to temp' quickly and stays dead steady.. just at 76C instead of 80C. My old v6 ran at 86C so this 76C seems a bit "cool" to me.

Also the heater is only really any good on "Max". Is this a '45 thing or is mine just pants? I don't think it's related to the 76C issue as the heater works the same now as it did before I changed the thermostat (though with the old 'stat/cardboard arrangement the coolant took longer to warm up).

Ta.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
should be around 90;) its got issues

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature as long as it's steady - it's probably just an inaccurate gauge.

I assume you've got an alloy-topped engine, as you mention the gauge is marked 80°? My 145 was a plastic-top, which ran at 90°; even with the extra 10° the heater was pretty poor.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aye! The beast is a 1.8 16v CF1 alloy-top doodah. :thumbs:

I guess there's nothing wrong with it.. but I was curious what other ones are like.. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
76ºC is about right on the gauge for a CF1 Twinny.

The gauge tends to read low, normally by about 10ºC

In fact on later (CF2 cars) the gauge is marked differently. On the CF1 cars the middle part of the gauge is marked 80ºC and on later cars it is marked 90ºC

If you are worried get it hooked up to Alfadiag and it will tell you exact temp as the ECU sees it.

My GTV reads only about 80ºC on the gauge, but according to Alfadiag the coolant is at 90ºC

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
76ºC is about right on the gauge for a CF1 Twinny.

The gauge tends to read low, normally by about 10ºC

In fact on later (CF2 cars) the gauge is marked differently. On the CF1 cars the middle part of the gauge is marked 80ºC and on later cars it is marked 90ºC

If you are worried get it hooked up to Alfadiag and it will tell you exact temp as the ECU sees it.

My GTV reads only about 80ºC on the gauge, but according to Alfadiag the coolant is at 90ºC
thats just daft, but typically italian:lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
the fan only kicks in when the coolant reaches 90degrees.

symon is spot on...my feelings are that the alloy top actually gives you a more accurate reading of what the coolant temperature is where as the plastic top keeps the needle steady but obviously the coolant temperature changes according to the outside temperature and also the type of road you're driving...ie,driving on a nice straight open road on the alloy top engine the needle drops to around 70 and when approaching traffic you will see it rise again whereas on the plastic top it stays steady no matter what the conditions are.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

symon is spot on...my feelings are that the alloy top actually gives you a more accurate reading of what the coolant temperature is where as the plastic top keeps the needle steady but obviously the coolant temperature changes according to the outside temperature and also the type of road you're driving...ie,driving on a nice straight open road on the alloy top engine the needle drops to around 70 and when approaching traffic you will see it rise again whereas on the plastic top it stays steady no matter what the conditions are.
should see my needle, shows exactly what the temp is, even shows the temp drop when the thermostat opens;)

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
My '45 1.8 plastic top twinny in this current weather when driving barely gets halfway to 90 degrees. During any other time she reaches 90 degrees. My local indie was not concerned.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts

I don't agree with that, I find mine with the plastic top does the same.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
most alfas do that, they show the instant temp rather than an average that other manufacturers show:thumbs:

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
It should stay fairly constant on both the plastic and ally topped cars as long as the thermostat and radiator are ok.

Check how the gauges are marked at the mid point. The one with the engine running was at normal operating temperature with a new Stat and Rad (ally top) the other was a plastic top 146Ti

·
Registered
182 Posts
thats at the bottom of my list at mo my crank is presently getting a regrind. also behind the variator and water pump and also balance belt tensioner thats in the back of my car. the car is looking v sad at min on its axle stands engineless, bumperless and winking at me with one head light in place. the list just gets longer by the day :(

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
thats at the bottom of my list at mo my crank is presently getting a regrind. also behind the variator and water pump and also balance belt tensioner thats in the back of my car. the car is looking v sad at min on its axle stands engineless, bumperless and winking at me with one head light in place. the list just gets longer by the day :(
I am sure it will be great when it is done though.

A sorted 145 QV is a great car to drive, and getting rare.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It should stay fairly constant on both the plastic and ally topped cars as long as the thermostat and radiator are ok.

Check how the gauges are marked at the mid point. The one with the engine running was at normal operating temperature with a new Stat and Rad (ally top) the other was a plastic top 146Ti
Aye! That picture on the left is exactly what mine looks like, though I don't have the red interval marks between the white ones.

At least it's reassuring to know my beast is being normal. :D

Ralf S.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts