Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks

I've got a small niggling problem that's annoying me on my car.

I recently had the 330mm brake conversion fitted by Autolusso, and they seem to be performing very well indeed. I think the pads on my 305's were well due a change, so jumping to the 330's with new discs/pads was always going to show a massive increase in performance.

Anyway, I have two issues:

- Very loud squeeling at low speed when braking. When I pull up at lights, and start to really slow down to around 5mph, there is huge squeeling from the brakes. Loud enough to make people turn around. My car was serviced last week at Alfatune and Gus said he applied some copperslip, but it's made no difference. Any idea what this might be? Ned, if you're reading, can you advise what pads you used?

- High-pitched drone from suspension or brakes? In normal driving conditions, there's a high-pitched constant squeel from somewhere. Sometimes I think it's coming from the rear, but sometimes it sounds like front (not very helpful I know). When Gus had the car last week he said that something 'transverse' on the rear suspension needed replacing, but that it's not critical. But, I'm almost sure that when I apply my brakes the squeeling stops. So, could it be something related to the front brakes again? I know I'm vague with this one, so when I go out later I'll stick my head out of the window and have a proper listen.

Any pointers appreciated! I'll update this thread later when I've been out in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,100 Posts
Hey Folks

I've got a small niggling problem that's annoying me on my car.

I recently had the 330mm brake conversion fitted by Autolusso, and they seem to be performing very well indeed. I think the pads on my 305's were well due a change, so jumping to the 330's with new discs/pads was always going to show a massive increase in performance.

Anyway, I have two issues:

- Very loud squeeling at low speed when braking. When I pull up at lights, and start to really slow down to around 5mph, there is huge squeeling from the brakes. Loud enough to make people turn around. My car was serviced last week at Alfatune and Gus said he applied some copperslip, but it's made no difference. Any idea what this might be? Ned, if you're reading, can you advise what pads you used?

- High-pitched drone from suspension or brakes? In normal driving conditions, there's a high-pitched constant squeel from somewhere. Sometimes I think it's coming from the rear, but sometimes it sounds like front (not very helpful I know). When Gus had the car last week he said that something 'transverse' on the rear suspension needed replacing, but that it's not critical. But, I'm almost sure that when I apply my brakes the squeeling stops. So, could it be something related to the front brakes again? I know I'm vague with this one, so when I go out later I'll stick my head out of the window and have a proper listen.

Any pointers appreciated! I'll update this thread later when I've been out in the car.
Sometimes an easy solution is to make 2 or 3 severe stops, to bed in the brakes....

·
Administrator
45,147 Posts
They can be pretty prone to squealing. You can get 'anti-squeal shims' which fit between the pistons and pads which can help a lot.
Mine (thankfully) only do it very occasionally.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Find a fast quiet road and do several BIG stops - this should stop the loud sqeeling.
Dunno about the other problem.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I get a squeal now and again; always from the front right brake on when turning right at very low speeds (i.e pulling into drive). It's only when the brakes are cold if you like, as when I've been for a proper drive and pull up home there is no sound at all.

When I first got the car the brakes were very squeaky up front and on both sides, when I had a service at Alfaworkshop Jamie said that the pads had actually been put on the wrong way originally! :lol:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I get a squeal now and again; always from the front right brake on when turning right at very low speeds (i.e pulling into drive). It's only when the brakes are cold if you like, as when I've been for a proper drive and pull up home there is no sound at all.

When I first got the car the brakes were very squeaky up front and on both sides, when I had a service at Alfaworkshop Jamie said that the pads had actually been put on the wrong way originally! :lol:
I'm sure the only difference in the pads is one side has the warning wire and the other side does not - apart from that both pads are the same :confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine also squeel real bad on light braking especially just before coming to a standstillor turning into drive way as stopping, its so loud ppl look at me funny!.............im not a heavy braker.........so i need to do some severe stops to bed them in????

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Re the squealing - Is it mainly under light breaking that this happens?
Copperslip is OK but not that great on the brembos - this stuff is great though: Mintex - Cera Tec

Also some people file the leading edge off the pads this helps stop it too :thumbs:

C

·
0 Posts
In normal driving conditions, there's a high-pitched constant squeel from somewhere. Sometimes I think it's coming from the rear, but sometimes it sounds like front (not very helpful I know). When Gus had the car last week he said that something 'transverse' on the rear suspension needed replacing, but that it's not critical. But, I'm almost sure that when I apply my brakes the squeeling stops. So, could it be something related to the front brakes again? I know I'm vague with this one, so when I go out later I'll stick my head out of the window and have a proper listen.

Travese link, unlikely to be related. Sounds to me like like it could be a problem with the rear brakes. Try GENTLY applying the handbrake whilst moving to see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes under light braking, its soooo loud!!....... heavy braking no squeals.......
I heard it on a late mitsi evo the other day, they have the same brakes.

M

·
0 Posts
In my experience squeaking front 330mm brakes involve the pad moving against the piston, not the pad against the disk. I removed my pads and gave the back of them and the calipers a thorough clean and that stopped the ridiculously loud noise they were making.....however a slight amount of brake squeal, especially on lock and at low speed, appears to be a trait of the 330 calipers.

H

·
0 Posts
mine squeal really bad at low speed/light brake pedal pressure.

ds2500 pads correctly bedded in

im going to try more grease on the back

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I used 3M backing shims on my DS2500 pads in my standard 156 calipers and significantly reduced the squealing.

Going to fit them shortly on the DS2500 pads in my Ferrari Brembo calipers and see what difference they make - dont really have too much noise from the brakes at the moment so just doing it to see how they are.

Also are your pads a tight fit into the calipers, no up and down movement?

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
the mintex stuff I listed above really does work! The squeal is (as posted above) usually caused by pad vibration. Taking the leading edge off the pad often helps reduce this vibration but the mintex stuff works much better than the copperslip grease. Shims will also help a lot! A combination of all three should shut them up once and for all :lol:
Mine don't squeal by the way :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think without the backing shim is the reason of squealing. Ferodo pad doesn't come with it so I had to reuse the one from OEM pad.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts