Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen quite a few for sale around 95000, is this just people selling before they reach the big 100k or is there extra work needed around this time?

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
A V6 engine will go for 250,000 miles if it is looked after.

At that sort of mileage it will need suspension work, radiator, clutch in the very near future if it hasn't already been done.

Also check when the cambelt was last done.

Mine is on 107k, and had had lots done to it. It drives very well.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Mines on around 140000 km (probably close to 90000 miles) but it's still very good. The engine puts out more that it's supposed to, but my suspension needs some minor work done (shocks and bushes). No smoke, smooth idle and relatively quiet.

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
If it's been well looked after, full service history, cambelt changed at right time with paperwork to prove its been done, no reason it should be a bad thing. Mileage could have been motorway cruising, better than a stop, start lower mileage one.....:)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The good thing is that cars have what is called a "wear cycle", years ago it averaged 70k miles but parts are far more reliable now, at around 90k various parts should have been replaced and be at pretty much the start of their "lives" really its a matter of looking at the bills and seeing whats been done, Symon is right re 250k for the engine, far more if its pampered, the 100k thing stems from the days of the morris minor etc when at that mileage they would be completely clapped out :)(whos gonna be the first to say, well my 1972 BMC Leyland rapier super vixen mongol has done 800k and its still as good as the day it was made!) i mean as a rule.

·
Registered
172 Posts
as mentioned look to see what's been done e.g. make sure cambelt was done fairly recently (within four years really), probably radiator if not done by then, wishbones... As said they will go on if regularly serviced so look out for service history.

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
It is also worth mentioning that a car with 150,000 miles on the clock and a full folder of receipts will almost certainly be a better bet than a 50,000 mile car with just a Full Alfa history and little else.

Most of these cars are 10 years old at least, condition and history are the most important things to look for.

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
It is also worth mentioning that a car with 150,000 miles on the clock and a full folder of receipts will almost certainly be a better bet than a 50,000 mile car with just a Full Alfa history and little else.

Most of these cars are 10 years old at least, condition and history are the most important things to look for.
Agree with that, a stamp in a book does not mean that anything has been done, the reason why I have allways kept receipts and bills, no matter how small the bill. I know that you can check with most garages about service history, but how long do they keep the records, or is there a law or something that dictates that. A folder full of receipts shows the owner cared for the car.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
whos gonna be the first to say, well my 1972 BMC Leyland rapier super vixen mongol has done 800k and its still as good as the day it was made!
thats only because anything Leyland was clapped out the day it came off the 'production' line

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Quentin wilson summed it up when he said.... "dont ever be fooled into thinking that the morris marina is a classic, it was a great steaming conical pile of horse manure the day it was made, and it still is!".

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm on 132,000 miles. Uses very little oil, sounds great and goes as well, if not better than when it was made. If its serviced regularly (I change the oil every 6000) and looked after (camblets etc), should be good for 200,000 plus I reckon

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,533 Posts
Mine is currently on 96k and runs like a dream. Sounds as sweet as anything and is really smooth and gutsy. Used next to no oil in the 6 months since I changed it and it even found a way to up its power from 218 to 251 :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts