Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think the GT is a very sensible car to buy right now. I got mine which I pick up next week for £10,700 with 6 months tax, a years warranty, MOT, they have done the cambelt for me....it's a 2.0 JTS with 36k on the clock with tan leather interior. You tell me what other car you could buy for that price with that spec that looks as good as the GT? Mark 4 Golf GTI's still go for that price!!
thats an amazing deal.

As far as value for money goes im thinking the GT out weighs the Brera atm - an alfa coupe for around £10-13k whats not to like?

mikey2001 - whats the handling/speed/comfort etc like compared to the astra.

I think im going to have to take a proper drive in one over the weekend :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
How about a GTV, they have no rear space at all, no boot at all, and drive like a go cart!

Also you can buy one for about £4000 in really good condition!

With the cash you saved, you could buy a 156 Sportwagon as well!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i did think about the GTV but I am worried about reliability as I love drive it rather than having ti in teh dealer.

With a GTV i could sell ym astra, buy a GTV V6 pre 2001 and enjoy cheaper tax lol

More likely a 2.0 GTV, and pocket some cash as Im guess the GTVs arent going to depeciate much more. I would love a coupe

It depends how jobs go, if everything works out I think I am going to splash out and get a GT coupe as recently having driven one, and enjoyed the extra space over the brera (just felt nicer going down the motorway next to the trucks) and with the added value for money.

If things dont go so well, I can see me either selling the astra and getting a 156 (with the big spoiler, not sure what engine) or a GTV as I want a coupe

What do you think - what is a GTV like to live with? (sod the baby seat idea lol)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
GTLeigh drove Clare's GT 3.2 yesterday after is new 3.2 Brera. The GT is like a nuclear powered Go Cart and with the Q2 gets all the power to the road:wow: It's really pointy on the steering too:cool:

The ride is hard & crashy though & there are plenty of interior squeaks & creaks:(

The Brera is far more cosseting. It feels powerful but in a lazy sort of way. The throttle pedal is really long too (in the GT you press it with your big toe and it's like stepping on a land mine:eek:).

The ride & handling are excellent but the steering isn't as feelsome as the GT.

The GT is more fun but it feels "old" compared to the competence & quality of the new car.

Two very different but individually excellent cars.

Note. There is NO room in the back of the Brera:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
having driven both im in a difficult situation.

Im not willing at this stage of my life to spend the extra on the Brera, it is alovely car but I would be pushing myself too hard to afford one now. So as I see it I have 3 slightly different choices

Option A)
Keep the astra for another year, maybe 2, put up with the high road tax etc. and then think about changing it for a Brera in 2 years time

Option B)
Sell the astra, and go for the GT. It would be a diesel so I would see an increase in MPG, and a decrease in tax, although the running cost would by offset buy the finance.

OptionC)
Sell the astra, pocket the cash, and buy a GTV 2.0 to run around and enjoy (on the assumtion I can find one someone would let be test drive to see if I enjoy it) and then think about a Brera or perhaps the GTs replacement in 2-3 years?

What are your thoughts? I guess option C would be the cheapest, however im not sure about doing long motorway miles in a GTV (im obcessed with my safety on the motorways) but I am having a problem with the maths on option A vs. B. I think a rip to the deal is in order to get an acutual price on the astra, the exact amount left on its finance, and the cost of the change! Option A at a guess is teh most sensible, but being an astra it will depreciate very quickly and it is a high miles car (37,000 on an 06 plate)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
having driven both im in a difficult situation.

Im not willing at this stage of my life to spend the extra on the Brera, it is alovely car but I would be pushing myself too hard to afford one now. So as I see it I have 3 slightly different choices

Option A)
Keep the astra for another year, maybe 2, put up with the high road tax etc. and then think about changing it for a Brera in 2 years time

Option B)
Sell the astra, and go for the GT. It would be a diesel so I would see an increase in MPG, and a decrease in tax, although the running cost would by offset buy the finance.

OptionC)
Sell the astra, pocket the cash, and buy a GTV 2.0 to run around and enjoy (on the assumtion I can find one someone would let be test drive to see if I enjoy it) and then think about a Brera or perhaps the GTs replacement in 2-3 years?

What are your thoughts? I guess option C would be the cheapest, however im not sure about doing long motorway miles in a GTV (im obcessed with my safety on the motorways) but I am having a problem with the maths on option A vs. B. I think a rip to the deal is in order to get an acutual price on the astra, the exact amount left on its finance, and the cost of the change! Option A at a guess is teh most sensible, but being an astra it will depreciate very quickly and it is a high miles car (37,000 on an 06 plate)
It depends what you want. I think although the GTV is a bit long in the tooth it is a bit more of a drivers car than the Brera which is a bit heavy and wallowy (alledgely.. I've never driven one). The GTV is going to feel like more fun on the road (especially in the v6 version) and are a great price now which you aren't really going to lose much money on if you keep a couple of years and then swap for something else.

I did consider a Brera/159 but decided to keep my GTV until I see what they are offering 149 GTA wise :lol:

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
(B), then you can PX it when you can afford a Brera

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Jimny !

If your serious about kids forget a 2/3 door. Believe me, more trouble than it's worth and when you get fed up of it you'll loose a fortune when you sell it !!

Have they still got the cracking 159 in the showroom in Cardiff with the 'pimp' red leather seats ? That's the car you want !!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I fit a wife and 1 year old baby in my Brera - with a pram and suitcase in the boot, plus various bags both in the boot and seat behind me - and I'm 6'1" tall!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hello mate, I just got married last monht, I got a Brera last year and my wife got a Spider last week. As people here are saying, if you're not actually married yet, you've got time to enjoy the Brera. I sense it is what you want so you should go for it while you can!

Also the boot on the Brera is actually pretty massive, and I would think you can get those baby seat things on the Brera rear seats.

G

·
0 Posts
Go for option 2. That's exactly what I've done (except a JTS) with getting a Brera in mind a couple of years later

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
OptionC)
Sell the astra, pocket the cash, and buy a GTV 3.0 V6 to run around and enjoy and then think about a Brera or perhaps the GTs replacement in 2-3 years?
I have fixed option C for you. From the sounds of your financial situation, I'd go for option C, but I would certainly go for the V6. With petrol/tax going they way they are this may be the last opportunity for regular folks to own and drive a V6 happily.

Don't worry about the motorway, I have family in every corner of the country and regularly do long motorway journeys. It's a joy to drive.

Jimny ! If your serious about kids forget a 2/3 door. Believe me, more trouble than it's worth and when you get fed up of it you'll loose a fortune when you sell it !!
Don't listen to him :lies: . You can have a coupe with a kid for at least a couple of years.

Jimny, as our names our derivitives of the same thing I believe we share some kind of bond, and therefore you should listen to me :p

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
do not buy a car based on one day you MIGHT get married and then MAYBE you will become a father etc etc

that is just silly

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I got my 156 as a "sensible family car" when my wife was a few months pregnant ... how many times was it used as a "sensible family car"? ... virtually none because within a few months of Beast #1 being born we bought my missus a Scenic ...

... don't live for the "what if's", do what's right for now ...

btw I don't regret the 156 for a second ...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I got my 156 as a "sensible family car" when my wife was a few months pregnant ... how many times was it used as a "sensible family car"? ... virtually none because within a few months of Beast #1 being born we bought my missus a Scenic ...

... don't live for the "what if's", do what's right for now ...

btw I don't regret the 156 for a second ...
He-he, yeah - even though I CAN put wife and kids in the Brera, I got a Civic for her to use while on her own :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
He-he, yeah - even though I CAN put wife and kids in the Brera, I got a Civic for her to use while on her own :)
But can you be bothered to change over the car seats and then let the grubby little beasts with their dirt producing glands into your precious alfa? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
But can you be bothered to change over the car seats and then let the grubby little beasts with their dirt producing glands into your precious alfa? :lol: :lol:
Practice makes perfect on the speed - and there's no munching in the back seats, even for adults! :thumbs:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
do not buy a car based on one day you MIGHT get married and then MAYBE you will become a father etc etc

that is just silly

i must admit after lots of thought that is the opinion that i have been coming too, but i dont want to make a huge loss (im going to make a loss at some point cause i like cars lol)

whats the MPG like on the GTV V6, r in real world terms

How much to fill up, and how many miles to a tank?

I have come to the conculsion that i dont want a diesel again if i can avaiod it :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
forgot to say that i am at the gf's parents house over the next few dyas so its not that im ignoring the forum if you come u with fantastic ideas and i apparently ignore you :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts