Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i want an Alfo Coupe. Pref. a Brera, however i do have a long term gf and i could see myself moving the relationship on the the dreaded M word

Now i doubt i could convince her than an Alfa coupe is a good choice once we were married so i would want to buy it before hand (hehe) and theni can really enjoy it. Now the the thing is that i looked at the Brera this morning and it is quite a small car inside - back seat space is well....cramped! lol :lol:

Is the GT coupe any better - ie i could see me buying a Brera and having to sell it after a baby came along as its not big enough - could the GT be a better choice? :cool:

(Wow thats a scarey post! :lol: :lol: )

thanks
James

(oh and for the record the Cardiff dealer was very helpful, and took me through all the options as i was a total novice, and treated me much better than BMW did! lol)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
You can fit a pram and then a pushchair in a GT boot (as long as don't have the bose option as the subwoofer takes up valuable space), and it's not too much of a problem with a kiddy seat in the back. I have even taken mine on a family holiday to the South of France with the Mrs & two kids with no complaint :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The only reasons we bought a GT over a Brera last year was interior space & the seats. The GT is a propper 4 seater with a decent boot. The Brera is better built and has a more competent chassis and the seats have been sorted to the 08 models. Both a lovely cars but if a family is on the cards, only the GT will cut it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do the GTs drive compared to the Breras?

Or even the 159 estate...but im not odl enough for an estate or saloon yet! lol

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Do what I did, get the GF/Wife a GT & then get yourself a Brera :thumbs:

The Brera
is better built:thumbs:
Blue & me is a godsend :thumbs:
Great looking:thumbs:
Better ride on 18" Alloys :thumbs:

The GT
has better body hugging seats:thumbs:
more room (boot space):thumbs:
very nippy:thumbs:
Heavy clutch :(
Great looking :thumbs:

Not much in it really both cracking cars :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seeing as the gf isnt into cars and just wants something that works i was thinking a focus/gold lol

troulble is (and we are into fantasy future again) if we go so see parents/inlaws i would want to take the alfa (dad has a range, sister audi tt, and older brother a porsche (they are all lawyers lol))

I do love the brera it was the car that got be interested again in alfas.....

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Baby's are actually pretty small and will fit in the back of a GT or a Brera.:lol:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Baby's are actually pretty small and will fit in the boot of a GT or a Brera.:lol:
I edited your quote to what you really meant.

Get a Brera. I'm assuming that you don't have kids yet, and if you're thinking about getting married then kids are probably a way off.

Get the Brera, enjoy it, and you can still use it for a few years when the kids come.

Then switch to a 159.

(That's my plan if you substitute Brera for Cup)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Thanks Jimmer, that was what I meant.

Seriously however I've never really understood people who the second the twenty week scan is complete rush out and buy a people carrier.:confused:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Get a Brera. I'm assuming that you don't have kids yet, and if you're thinking about getting married then kids are probably a way off.

Get the Brera, enjoy it, and you can still use it for a few years when the kids come.

Then switch to a 159.

My thoughts exactly.
The Brera will be fine for the 1st couple of years of your babies life, at least.
My Brera for now, & then a 159 or 159sw in a couple of years time. Engine type/size yet to be determined, but possibly the 2.4d. The 3.2 petrol is only going to get more expensive to run/harder to re-sell a few years down the line. But I reserve the right to change my mind.
Matt.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Do what I did, get the GF/Wife a GT & then get yourself a Brera :thumbs:

The Brera
is better built:thumbs:
Blue & me is a godsend :thumbs:
Great looking:thumbs:
Better ride on 18" Alloys :thumbs:

The GT
has better body hugging seats:thumbs:
more room (boot space):thumbs:
very nippy:thumbs:
Heavy clutch :(
Great looking :thumbs:

Not much in it really both cracking cars :D
Agree with all of the above, but also worth adding although the Brera rides better (in terms of how it deals with pot holes e.t.c), it doesn't have the same agility/steering feel as the GT.

G

·
0 Posts
A great choice to have to make. I choose the GT as it's what I could afford in the second hand market. I will be getting a Brera as soon as I can afford one...but the GT in the meantime will more than suffice!!!

If you can afford the Brera then do it...but I wouldn't be too upset about going for a GT

Remember the Brera will cost more in fuel and possibly insurance too

Enjoy the choice...either way you'll have one of the best two cars out there ;)

P.S I'm married and have a 10 year old kid and bacxk seat size doesn't come into my choices at any popint. Does your missus have a car of her own?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i must admit although i can afford a Brera i think my finances may well get stretched (i hyear weddings/babies are very expensive!!!) lol

and the fact there are lots of GTs about for around £10k cheaper than a new Brera, and after having one, and when I can afford 2 cars, I could get a Brera, and a 2nd car for the misses :D

can it be a sensible choice to by an alfa ever - i always thought it was a choice of heart over head for alfas! lol :D

G

·
0 Posts
I think the GT is a very sensible car to buy right now. I got mine which I pick up next week for £10,700 with 6 months tax, a years warranty, MOT, they have done the cambelt for me....it's a 2.0 JTS with 36k on the clock with tan leather interior. You tell me what other car you could buy for that price with that spec that looks as good as the GT? Mark 4 Golf GTI's still go for that price!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would go for the GT (only cos I made the same step from an Astra 1.8 like yourself!) - you will love it (squeaks and all!) :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts