Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They seem to me to have almost doubled in price... not that I use them any more.

Since HIPS (home information packs) were very sensibly thrown out..... does anyone
still buy these useless, undimmable, fluorescent and take ages to come to full brightness
things :confused:

I moved house in the middle of the HIPS period and hence now have a box of the useless
things..... I assume the manufacturers of them have also got millions in their stores.

Roll on LED technology... surely that is the future :confused:

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
I don't know whether it's down to an improvement in the technology, or different makes, but I recently found some energy saving bulbs which are excellent.

They give a light nearly as good as their theoretically equivalent standard bulbs, and no warm up time.

They're made by Feit Electric - I think they might be a US firm, as I get them from Costco. I think these are still non-dimmable, but I believe you can now buy dimmable energy saving bulbs.

Like you, I used to think of energy saving bulbs as a complete white elephant.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a 'so called' dimmable bulb... at some ridiculous price!

It was a disaster.... flickering and intermittent

It's in the box with the others :rolleyes:

K

·
0 Posts
I've kind of got used to them now I think, apart from in the bog where I can get in, do what I need to do, and get out before the bloody thing comes on proper.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
We've got a load of Philips ones - no complaints here :D

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I can't understand why they say on the box that they will last 10 years.

We have replaced loads of them, and we haven't been using them more than 5 years or so.

And no they are not on all of the time either.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've got a load of Philips ones - no complaints here :D
There is always one :rolleyes:

and it's usually Oooofer :lol:

I can't understand why they say on the box that they will last 10 years.

We have replaced loads of them, and we haven't been using them more than 5 years or so.

And no they are not on all of the time either.
I hope you disposed of them in accord with the instructions...

else HM will be after you :lol:

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
I have a problem with them.

We had a house built.

All of the bulbs are those "spotlights set into the ceiling ones" - modern, not 12v transformers, but the full 240v variety.

They are meant to last 10 years. So far (within 3 years) two have failed.

How much to replace ? £13 each - they have their own PCBs built in ffs.

So - lets do the maths.

In ten years to replace two modern bulbs - £26.

In ten years to replace - say two 60 watt standard bulbs at £0.50 - given each one will last - say two years minimum then - 5 x 2 x £0.5 = £5.00.

Hmm.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I hope you disposed of them in accord with the instructions...

else HM will be after you :lol:

Well sort of.

We have a box for energy saving light bulbs at work so I put them in there, they then get taken away and dealt with properly.

I bet most people just thrown them in the rubbish though.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Well sort of.

We have a box for energy saving light bulbs at work so I put them in there, they then get taken away and dealt with properly.

I bet most people just thrown them in the rubbish though.
:eek: That'll be me then :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
They seem to me to have almost doubled in price... not that I use them any more.

Since HIPS (home information packs) were very sensibly thrown out..... does anyone
still buy these useless, undimmable, fluorescent and take ages to come to full brightness
things :confused:

I moved house in the middle of the HIPS period and hence now have a box of the useless
things..... I assume the manufacturers of them have also got millions in their stores.

Roll on LED technology... surely that is the future :confused:
LED lighting is the future but needs to come down in price first, they're currently a lot more than these energy saving bulbs.

LED LIGHTING & LED LIGHTS From ECOLED

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Coincidence or bad timing? :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts