Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, looking for a complete set of new tyres and finding it difficult to make a choice! Will spend £100-125 per tyre. Also not sure about speed rating, currently car has 225/45 ZR17 so assuming this is 'Z' rating? Is it essential that I stick to this rating as I couldnt find too many 'Z' rated tyres?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many threads, and many opinions on this......but my vote, for performance and longevity at a reasonable price......Michelin Pilot Sport 2's.

I moved away from Pirrelli for the very reason stated by 156GTASW, poor longevity. I feel the MPS2's give as much grip but last longer.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Eagle F1 Asymetrics - brilliant, last ages and cheap(ish)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just fitted PS2's myself. Awesome.
You really will enjoy these tyres Matty....i'm getting two new fronts fitted before the record attempt. The rears are a little cracked, but have loads of tread, so they can wait....!

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
Have the Michelin PS2s myself, very happy with them.
However, Michelin just came out with the new PS3.... Don't know how they compare, would expect them to be an improvement again over the PS2's...;)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
P zero rosso but will change for eagle f1s when they are shot.

Had f1s on my Holden and lasted well even with 500 lb/ft going through the rears!

You can often get them cheap on special deals

try camskill via google mail order from my home town of Whitehaven - very cheap and great service

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
isn't a rating of 'Y' or 'W' the same as 'Z'
Not exactly.
Originally it was just "Z" for any tyre capable of over 150mph.
But it was later divided to add "W" and "Y".
So you now have (for example):
225/45ZR17 91W (150mph+, but not over 170mph)
225/45ZR17 91Y (150mph+, but not over 190mph)
225/45ZR17 91 (150mph+)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
We had Michelin Pilot sport 2's on the beemer from new, the rears were changed at 32,000 miles and the fronts will be changed in the coming weeks at 35,000 miles, they are also brilliantly grippy on the beemer.

I put them on my old wheels and they were very good but I wouldn't say they were really any better than the P Zero Nero's I had before they do certainly last longer though. Toyo Proxes t1-R are very good and always had good results wet or dry but they tend to last about a 10-15K in my experience.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Not exactly.
Originally it was just "Z" for any tyre capable of over 150mph.
But it was later divided to add "W" and "Y".
So you now have (for example):
225/45ZR17 91W (150mph+, but not over 170mph)
225/45ZR17 91Y (150mph+, but not over 190mph)
225/45ZR17 91 (150mph+)

Learned something... Thanks David C :thumbs:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
How often do we all go over 150mph then?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would NOT touch T1R's on the GTA, especially in 225/40/18.

Horrendous tyre flex, just shocking. Wear and grip were ok, but for the flex alone, I'd recommend you avoided like the plague.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I would NOT touch T1R's on the GTA, especially in 225/40/18.

Horrendous tyre flex, just shocking. Wear and grip were ok, but for the flex alone, I'd recommend you avoided like the plague.
I've got em on the front of mine and they seem fine. :confused:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts