Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so, I currently own a 156 2.5 V6 and I need a new car since I will probably be getting a new job at a somewhat distant location. I would be travelling around 160 km every day (60% highway, 30% open road and 10% heavy traffic).

Currently I am torn apart on whether I should buy a cheaper diesel to put miles on like a 156 2.4 20V (extremely cheap parts and readily available) or something newer with less miles like a Giulietta which would be more than double the price.
Giulietta options are a 2.0 jtdm manual or a TCT. I am very skeptical about automatic transmission, especially since I read that TCTs often have clutch problems and can be very jerky in traffic.
159 is a no.

3rd option would be a 156 2.4 10V 110kw version with the interior face lift, I would slap a 6 speed gearbox on.

4th option would be a 2017-2018 Giulia but that would be a financial burden.

What would serve me better ("best bang for the buck")?

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
3rd option, 10v, 6-speed gearbox conversion. Put a Quaife diff in it while you're there and some GTA anti roll bars while you have the front subframe off. :thumbs:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure why you dont consider a 159. How about a 2.4 Diesel Brera or a later model 1.9jtd GT - the blackline versions were particularly nice?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would think a 159 would fit the bill. A larger car which would be nicer on those longer trips on the motorway. Just a newer, better (for cruising) car over the 156.

But to serve you, for best bang for buck. I would think a diesel 156. It's a car that you may be familiar with working on already. Suspension, brakes, interior etc. You say parts are cheap. It's just being used as a fuel efficient vehicle I assume for you to get to and from work some distance away.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
OK, so, I currently own a 156 2.5 V6 and I need a new car since I will probably be getting a new job at a somewhat distant location. I would be travelling around 160 km every day (60% highway, 30% open road and 10% heavy traffic).

Currently I am torn apart on whether I should buy a cheaper diesel to put miles on like a 156 2.4 20V (extremely cheap parts and readily available) or something newer with less miles like a Giulietta which would be more than double the price.
Giulietta options are a 2.0 jtdm manual or a TCT. I am very skeptical about automatic transmission, especially since I read that TCTs often have clutch problems and can be very jerky in traffic.
159 is a no.

3rd option would be a 156 2.4 10V 110kw version with the interior face lift, I would slap a 6 speed gearbox on.

4th option would be a 2017-2018 Giulia but that would be a financial burden.

What would serve me better ("best bang for the buck")?
Don't be a prat! Sell the car and work locally. With that kind of commute, you don't need to worry about the car packing up. You will be the one that needs the maintenance!

Trust me, you will be (W/H)ealther in the long run.

It's a bit of a bugger driving home thinking of a romantic evening, only to find you are shagged before you are!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't be a prat! Sell the car and work locally. With that kind of commute, you don't need to worry about the car packing up. You will be the one that needs the maintenance!

It's a bit of a bugger driving home thinking of a romantic evening, only to find you are shagged before you are!
Bit harsh! 160km a day is roughly 100 miles or 50 miles each way. Roughly what i do each day on the motorway / A-roads. Can get a bit much some days with British congestion but this guy appears to live in Croatia which may be less congested and more scenic. If needs must and money is better 50 miles to work aint that bad. Its more the time involved to do the commute rather than the distance.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Bit harsh! 160km a day is roughly 100 miles or 50 miles each way. Roughly what i do each day on the motorway / A-roads. Can get a bit much some days with British congestion but this guy appears to live in Croatia which may be less congested and more scenic. If needs must and money is better 50 miles to work aint that bad. Its more the time involved to do the commute rather than the distance.
So it's buggers like you that are destroying the Planet and denying me the chance to drive a V 12 Ferrari:jester:

And is there any chance, y,ou nay develop a sense of humour any time soon?

It is all "Tongue in Cheek"!

It is not enough to speak a language, it is important to recognise the "Inflection".:jester:

·
Registered
269 Posts
So it's buggers like you that are destroying the Planet and denying me the chance to drive a V 12 Ferrari:jester:

And is there any chance, y,ou nay develop a sense of humour any time soon?

It is all "Tongue in Cheek"!

It is not enough to speak a language, it is important to recognise the "Inflection".:jester:
Calling someone a Prat and then expecting them to laugh aint my kind of sense of humour - sorry.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What about a 147? Cheaper than a Guilietta and latest ones will be 10 years old, and some came with Q2 and 170hp diesel. They seem a bit of a bargain in the UK now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow, I did not expect a response like this. To clarify my situation, it is easier and quicker for me to commute 160 km every day to my hometown than moving through congestion in the capital city where I would be working, at the expense of a little more fuel, which I would take rather than killing my car in heavy traffic which I hate (both for myself and the car). I have 50 minutes to drive 80 km in one way to home rather than waste more than an hour through congestion in rush hour.

I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the suggestion!

3rd option, 10v, 6-speed gearbox conversion. Put a Quaife diff in it while you're there and some GTA anti roll bars while you have the front subframe off. :thumbs:
I like the way you think, that could be the most probable solution although I would put the diff in the V6 :yum:.

Not sure why you dont consider a 159. How about a 2.4 Diesel Brera or a later model 1.9jtd GT - the blackline versions were particularly nice?
159 would be more financial involving since everything is somewhat more expensive and I do not really like the way they handle. Maybe I should reconsider a 2.4 154 kW in TI version.

GT Cloverleaf 170 would be a good option but maybe he needs 4 doors.
The problem is that cloverleafs, blacklines, 170 hp version are literally non existent in my market, if one pops out in a matter of 2 years it costs so much that it is not sensible to buy it.

I would think a 159 would fit the bill. A larger car which would be nicer on those longer trips on the motorway. Just a newer, better (for cruising) car over the 156.

But to serve you, for best bang for buck. I would think a diesel 156. It's a car that you may be familiar with working on already. Suspension, brakes, interior etc. You say parts are cheap. It's just being used as a fuel efficient vehicle I assume for you to get to and from work some distance away.
159 maybe breaks the bank on maintetnance as I already sad, eats tires quick and they are not very cheap, especially if I would be doing 35000 km per year.

Fiat 500 in 1.3 diesel flavour.

Ralf S.
That is a hard pass, sorry. 500 comes to mind only in Abarth version as a pocket rocket.

Well, the problem is that I cannot find a good paying job in my hometown in my area of expertise and moving makes no sense to me because of the reasons I explained earlier. I can get to my home that is 80 km away in less than an hour but through the traffic in capital city in rush our it takes me longer to get to a rented flat that is maybe 10-15 km away, plus I already own a house in my hometown so yeah...

Yes that is exactly it!

Calling someone a Prat and then expecting them to laugh aint my kind of sense of humour - sorry.
Yeah, but it is ok.

What about a 147? Cheaper than a Guilietta and latest ones will be 10 years old, and some came with Q2 and 170hp diesel. They seem a bit of a bargain in the UK now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I already owned a 147 and the 1.9 just does not excite me. It is a very good engine I cannot say but compared to the V6 I just cannot. BUT, if a Q2 or blackline were available then I would strongly consider a 147 but sadly as I said, these are not available in my market by a long shot. Maybe I could import one from Italy but that is a risk.

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
500 mile a week = 26,000 miles a year.

At 45mpg average in a 10v you're going to use approx 2,625 litres of diesel. At 26mpg average in a 2.5 V6 you'd use 4,544 litres of petrol. What is the cost of a litre of petrol & diesel in your country?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
500 mile a week = 26,000 miles a year.

At 45mpg average in a 10v you're going to use approx 2,625 litres of diesel. At 26mpg average in a 2.5 V6 you'd use 4,544 litres of petrol. What is the cost of a litre of petrol & diesel in your country?
How much more does a 20V in the 156 consume in comparison with the 10V? I know that the 20V in the 159 likes to drink some but in the 156 is pretty good since it is a lighter vehicle?

With the highspeed highway I think that the V6 stand more like in the 22-ish mpg.

As of today prices stand like this converted from my currency:

95 octane - 1.14 GBP
100 octane - 1.21 GBP
Eurodiesel - 1.13 GBP

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Nothing is wrong, I just do not feel like putting a lot of miles on a V6 that is in a pretty good condition as these are getting so rare in my country. Plus it drinks petrol, A LOT.
Having a V6 that has lasted this long, it would be a shame, if not a crime, for it to be flogged to death like a pack horse.

And it is no crime to look at other marques to do the daily donkey work. It is expensive enough supporting one Alfa.

Cheap an cheerful, something you won't get too upset about if you get rear ended and have no regrets when it comes to changing it.

And not daft enough to spend a queens ransom on it when it is at the end of its life.

Get a Ford!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having a V6 that has lasted this long, it would be a shame, if not a crime, for it to be flogged to death like a pack horse.

And it is no crime to look at other marques to do the daily donkey work. It is expensive enough supporting one Alfa.

Cheap an cheerful, something you won't get too upset about if you get rear ended and have no regrets when it comes to changing it.

And not daft enough to spend a queens ransom on it when it is at the end of its life.

Get a Ford!
If it has to be a different marque I am more like a Toyota guy. New Corolla Sedan Hybrid seems very tempting but they are very expensive right now as they are 2019 models and I do not know how I would feel driving a CVT transmission.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts