Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you were the captain of a sinking ship ?

I hope I would stay on board until I was sure that all the crew and passengers that could get off did get off.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I'd do likewise :thumbs:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is it not an unwritten law that a captain goes down with his ship? Like to think i'd do the same.....catapulted into a lifeboat indeed!! he'll be saying that the rocks attacked the hull next

E

·
0 Posts
I would see if any Z listers, Katona, Price, Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell to mention a few, were on board and lock them in the bowels of the ship. After making sure everyone else was safe I would sink the ****er myself!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would see if any Z listers, Katona, Price, Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell to mention a few, were on board and lock them in the bowels of the ship. After making sure everyone else was safe I would sink the ****er myself!
:lol: I'm just just picturing the X-Factor finalists doing a tribute song for Cowell

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Difficult position to imagine myself in...
I dislike sea travel
I dislike crowds of holidaymakers

But assuming it was any ship, not just the current 'newsworthy' one,

I reckon I'd stick with it.

Not all ships carry passengers

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'd like to think I'd stay with the ship, and make sure everyone else was safe before I left, but then again we all like to think we'd "do the right thing" in such a situation where physical bravery is required.

The truth is who knows whether I'd have the courage if it came to it :confused:

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I'm not saying I'd go down with the ship but I'd not be falling into a lifeboat and leaving a 5 year old child to her fate :(

I've been a fire marshall for many years seen some terrible factory fires but if I'm on watch I'm the last one out of the building after I've checked its empty.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'd like to think I'd do the right thing and go down with the ship while drinking a very very large scotch and smoking a fine cigar. There is something very British about a glorious yet pointless sacrifice.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's hard to say for sure what your reaction would be in that situation. I know I'm at my best when I'm really under pressure but that's another level of pressure if you have peoples lives depending on your next decision ! A friend said to me this afternoon when we were talking about the ship in the news that he reckoned I'd still be on that ship looking for survivors, I would like to think he was right. :)

A

·
0 Posts
It's a job, like any other. Where in his contract of employment does it state that in the case of the ship sinking he should comit suicide?
Help others as far as you can without jeopardising your own safety, I say.

Devil's advocate and all that :p :)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
It's a job, like any other. Where in his contract of employment does it state that in the case of the ship sinking he should comit suicide?
Help others as far as you can without jeopardising your own safety, I say.

Devil's advocate and all that :p :)
It doesn't :)

That comment is very applicable to boy scouts and first aiders but not to a ships master :)

In all fairness to the chap it was dark and he was scared and wanted his mummy.
It must have been terrible for him with no comfort blanket in that life raft :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts