Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'd have the real brushed aluminium surrounds if i had to choose but the carbon fibre looks good. I think you would have to see an installed set or at least some photos of a 166 that has had this done. Its a good find if the surrounds on your car are worn/cracked.

Wasn't there an old thread were someone had installed carbon fibre surrounds?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just requested the following samples: Titanium Burl, Japanese Cherry Wood, Carbon Fibre and Piano Black.

I will see if they respond.

·
Registered
754 Posts
:vomit:

None of them. All these look cheap and nasty Blue Peter jobs. You might "improve" a Ford and possibly one of the cheaper Alfas but it's unlikely with a 166 interior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also "too much" for me. I like very much the original wooden for ICS, gear and steering wheel, like on the first picture from a17esh.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interior now with wooden steering removed and the sports wheel fitted, would Titanium burl look good?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have to say I think that stuff looks about as flash as a rat with a gold tooth! I see a lot of aftermarket stick-on trim kits in taxis and to me, they look really naff - especially the "walnut" type ones where there's just so much of it, that it ends up looking implausible. Less, for me, is definitely more! Someone I used to work with studied automotive design and made (what I felt) was a very valid point, which was that stuff like walnut is supposed to be expensive. Small, predimonantly flat, or single-curvature bits of it can look very good, but acres of it, and bits that you'd never get a real veneer to go round, just cheapen the whole effect.

All, of course, in my opinion. I know my tastes won't necessarily be the next chap's!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
..titanium, or maybe the ebony zebra stuff could be worth a shot either.

i don't disagree with avocet's post in principle, but sometimes stuff like this can be done tastefully.. the piano black looks good after all :)

one wrinkle and the whole thing's ruined mind..!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Its did have the wooden gear knob, but the old owner didnt like it and paid £70 for this know - it still is an Alfa one tho

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
The wood lookes ok, just a bit too old for me...I didnt like the silver / ti finish and always liked p.black - looks much better and more class in the flesh - s.w also doesnt stand out as much too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just checked out the original link and a bit of sick came up....
I'll stick with stock... Mind you my smart roadster has real carbon fibre trim inside, made by a slightly derranged man who makes model helicopers in germany.. Don't ask.. but it does look good lol :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts