H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have £10,000 to spend.

You want a 2 door convertible.

What would you choose?

I have shortlisted to 3,

Alfa Spider 3.2 v6 24v (2003 160.54 bhp/ton,289 torque @ 4800 rpm, FWD)

Honda S2000 (2003 - 2.2litre, 186.63 bhp/ton, 220nm [email protected] rpm, RWD)

BMW Z4 (2002 - 3.0litre, 167.03 bhp/ton, 300nm torque @3500 rpm, RWD)

(data from Carfolio)

·
Registered
37,340 Posts
TVR Chimaera, although if you planned to use the car everyday you should probably go with the Honda.

4.5 litre is 285bhp and weighs 1050kg, so 271 bhp per tonne.

If you could find a 5 litre that is 304 bhp per tonne

In my eyes the BMW is seriously ugly and is common, and the Alfa shakes a bit too much (but looks and sounds stunning)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would need to use the car 2-3 days per week for work.

A TVR would be too much in maintenance.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the alfa

i dont know why as there are probably better cars, but none that will make me as happy. think id have that faint feeling of regret everytime i got into something else.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the list, the Alfa because I hate the Z4 with a passion and the S2000 is a bit clinical for a ragtop.

I'd go with a TVR personally. Can you get SLK's for that money?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I had a 4.3 big valve griffith and a 500 , prefered the 4.3 as it was pre cat and sounded sublime. great cars but not really everyday cars IMO
of the cars above i would go for the s2000, my mate has one and it is a great drivers car.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I found the build quality of the S2000 to be very poor - I broke one at the last London Motor Show! (The silver one with the roof stuck half way up and the radio flap missing :lol:)

Still, a very quick and good handling car.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would go for the Alfa, based purely on looks and how happy it would make me feel.
I'm sure the Honda is a great car and love the idea of the VTEC when having fun, but they are apperantly a pain for everyday driving.
Can't see me having a glance back it either the Honda or BMW, like the idea of RWD but couldn't cope with the image of a BMW.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
In fairness I had seen the S2000 at the previous show and thought that the radio flap looked a little flimsy, so this time thought I'd test it. :lol:
The roof however was not at all intentional, and very surprising for a car that hadn't even been driven!
The interior reminds me very much of the mid-late '90s Civic too, which can't be good!

That said, and having driven one since, it is a cracking car to drive, that engine is :thumbs: !

·
Registered
162 Posts
no competition with the 3.2 Q4.4wd makes all the difference!:p the 3.2 FWD is the worst of the 3 by far but the Q4 is the best by miles:p!!!!!!

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
BMW Z3M, the later ones came with the 341bhp E46 M3 engine, would be very fun if you couldn't afford the maintenence on a TVR.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts