Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some great threads on here about the GT and I LOVE my GT Q2 like you wouldn't believe (actually YOU probably would believe it if you're reading this...!).

But there are minor niggles - what would you change about your GT if you could? I'm not talking about big stuff like different engine ranges or 4000 miles to the gallon or anything like that. I'm talking about the niggly stuff.

A couple of examples:

The drinks holder drives me mad. Any time I put any kind of cup, bottle or anything in there it knocks against the stereo and changes stations or it falls out and spills red hot coffee everywhere. The 147 I had before this was exactly the same. Dumb design.

And the 'drawer' next to it for credit/business cards....what a complete waste of time. Why not put something more useful in there!

One thing an old company Renault I used to have had was a pocket on the front of the driver's seat. Sounds really petty but, by God it was handy. Would be great to have something similar on the GT.

And finally - car mats that DON'T slip! There's probably a fix for that one - anyone want to share?

What about the other GT owners on here. What would you change about your beloved car? Oh, and does any of the above tempt me to trade in for something else? Like hell!

cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love the car in general but I would redesign the dashboard or change the centre console so it suits the car and not a cheap hatchback. Looking at the dull grey of the centre console grinds my gears...

(wind noise, flashing oddometer, rattle in boot at times, possibly better head rests....just saying :) )

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes- the cup-holder is not terribly functional. And I would never leave credit cards in the credit card holder; I guess they have that because Italy is such a crime-free country...
The one thing I would change is the volume control on the radio: too fiddly for me.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Nice thread..... alfa italy are you making notes???:)

The jtd gearbox could be alot better. I am actually a fan of the console and centre design with sexy GT on the ashtray! Its so cosy in there god dam it!:D The original suspension is abysmal!! but i sorted that...;)

The bodywork is pretty flimsy. And the electric window button pad looks unfinished and tacky.
But hey i still love her!!
Damien.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The armrest you cannot have it down and change gear as your arm keeps hitting it.

The glovebox size.

The wheel hubs and nuts that surface rust.

But who cares when it looks that good?:)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The armrest you cannot have it down and change gear as your arm keeps hitting it.

The glovebox size.

The wheel hubs and nuts that surface rust.

But who cares when it looks that good?:)
you can drop the armrest down lower... on the rest is the clip to open it. instead of opening it, squeeze and it lowers by a few inches.

i would have wanted an aux socket on the stereo for mp3 player connection as standard, especially on a '55 plate..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok just nit-picking but.............

Thicker paint / better stone chip resitance
Low washer fluid warning
Improved access and ease of changing headlamp bulbs

...........apart from those love it :D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Plastic quality is great but build is old school so i would likelLess creaks & rattles, much better ride and proper jacking points underneath so that garages can't go wrong when lifting it.

Canter console made of proper brushed alloy instead of the sprayed plastic.

Other than that & with the addition of a Q2 on our V6 it's great (but our Brera is better) :cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
"sort" whatever you want to "sort".

I wouldn't change anything. If I were to change ANY TINY LITTLE THING, it wouldn't be my little Alfie. The foibles make it what it is.

·
Registered
144 Posts
- Less rattles
- A nicer dashboard
- Rust free wheel nuts
- Lowered slightly
- Better paint to reduce chips
- Metal gear knob instead of flakey cheap thing on the jtd
- Q2 and 170bhp as standard

Saying that, it's still the best car available for the money by miles.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Heated seat switches - put them where they can be seen.
Headlights - facelift to match Brera/159
Spare wheel cover/carpet/flap thing
Replaceable interior door grab handles - yes, I know there's a guy on eBay selling covers.

This really is a trivial niggle - If the passenger seat (or driver's for that matter) is a long way back when someone climbs into the back it's a nice touch that the seat will slide forward to allow access, however if someone then sits in the passenger seat it has to be moved back to its original poisition before it will lock.... squeezing the passenger now in the back. Be nice if a tug on the lever would reset it in some way

Pub

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Good looking leather seats that hug your back
Compact cabin with chunky door panels and blood red interior lights at night.
Rear tail lights that look a lot different to anything else on the road
Room for a whole family or
Room for 2 mountain bikes + body armour/helmets, kit and passenger.
Timeless looks
Amazing sounding engine

Actually, thinking about it, I've got all the above which is why I bought the beautiful machine.

Only 3 things I'd like to improve.
Doors not to sound like they're gonna fall apart when I close them, this issue is multiplied when the windows are down.
Suspension. FSD's, Eibach springs and 18" wheels don't make for a decent ride on my local potholed roads. Great around corners and on motorways though.
Torque steer.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Suspension. FSD's, Eibach springs and 18" wheels don't make for a decent ride on my local potholed roads.?

Really my fsd's + eibachs +ARB kit solved my ride probs down the really bad east sussex backroads.:) Bit unfair on that setup. The fsd's soak up the bumps so well? The original setup is absolutely terrible. Just my 5 pence.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Mostly annoying things rather that critical factors:

Dashboard centre section should point towards the driver - not the passenger.
Better build quality for the interior in general would be nice and dash is not distinctive/bespoke enough (apart from the seats which are truly excellent).
Paint that didn't chip so easily...
Suspension bushes (especially top front wishbones) made from decent rubber (instead of chocolate).
De-rattle solution for all the noises coming from the rear.
Better quality shock absorbers - mine are just about done after 30K miles.
2.4 20V jtd would be ideal rather than the 4-pot (if a bit heavy)
Nicer climate control knobs are to be found on facelift 156 (but GT still better to use than the 159/Brera set up)

·
Registered
296 Posts
tan leather!!

Also, if you've ever driven on Italian motorways, you have to stop every 30 seconds to pay a toll. That makes the credit card drawer really useful.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'd just be happy if the stereo turns off when I shut the car down instead of having to do it manually every time
View attachment 128456

I should do, try swapping the permanent and ignition 12v wires on block A of the ISO plug (pins 4 and 7) on the back of the head unit.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I can live with all the little niggles that others have mentioned as they are part of the car and why I love it so much.

The only change I would suggest is a rear wiper/wash as I do miss having a clear view out the back at all times.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts