Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First if this has been done before, I am sorry............
But I have just been reading thru some posts, one guy was going mad about a 147 he had bought and the other was someone that had sold a 147 to buy a Seat.
Now I have had dozens of Alfas over the years and cannot think of any other car I would rather have, so my question is, Alfa and Fiat do not exsist, what would you buy????????

H

·
0 Posts
I find the whole notion of sticking to one single marque a little bit odd.
There are dozens, probably hundreds of really great cars out there that have been built over the years. And they come from all corners of the world, from all manufacturers, and they cater for all manner of different custom.

So why pick a single brand and close your eyes and ears to any one other?

When you need a new car, look at ALL the options, try them out. Then try some that perhaps don't immediately spring to mind, you might just dig up a surprise.

My next car may be another Alfa. But it probably won't, not because I have anything against Alfa, there's just too many good cars out there :lol:

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Well I have both an Alfa and a seat.

Horses for courses I guess it depends on what you want from your car and also if you have an interest.

My mate has no interest in cars and just wants something reliable to get him from A to b so he drives a saab.

D

·
0 Posts
Money no object? Bugatti Veyron obviously

Similar replacement for my 147? Golf GT TDI 150. It was a clase call on the forecourt, both cars the same price, both in black, preconceptions that VWs were more reliable than Alfas but the 147 came with red leather, cruise control, dual climate control and looked prettier.

Maybe my preconceptions were right because the Alfa's currently in the garage looking at a new turbo after having the EGR valve, turbo boost sensor and accelerator body changed over the last 6 months!

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Money no object? Bugatti Veyron obviously

Maybe my preconceptions were right because the Alfa's currently in the garage looking at a new turbo after having the EGR valve, turbo boost sensor and accelerator body changed over the last 6 months!
EGR valve issues are a major concern for all car manufacturers - I work in the automotive industry on EGR systems and have just heard from one of customers re there new engine - EGR cooler is performing great but the valve is burning out on their dyno test rigs - launch date July 08.

So its not just Alfa that have this issue.

Veyron would be my choice to - although an 8C would be pretty cool as well

D

·
0 Posts
All the troubles I'm having with mine are common faults across the board. I know it could happen to any turbo-diesel car but it's sods law it's happened to me and doesn't make the jokes of "An Alfa? How many times did it break down today?" any easier to disspel.

Apparently sticking turbo vanes are very common on VW TDI units and although the Alfa turbo unit is very similar, the problem isn't as common on an Alfa. It's just sods law it's happening to me but luckily the warranty is there to sort me out, hopefully I can get the car into tip-top condition before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
There are dozens, probably hundreds of really great cars out there that have been built over the years. And they come from all corners of the world, from all manufacturers, and they cater for all manner of different custom.

I find this attitude a bit perplexing....
Just because someone has a dedication to a particular marque, doesn't mean they dislike all others. I happen to like a lot of other cars, but simply cannot see myself driving anything but an Alfa (even when I had my Fiat I longed for another Alfa...).
One could say it insults the many thousands of enthusiasts in the UK and around the world who are members of owners clubs and websites such as this.....
Let me draw an analogy....
I seem to recall that you support the Hammers....as I do. Now, they're not what you'd call the best or most successful team in the world, so why stick with them? There are many other greater/more successful teams around so why not jump ship?

Think about it..... :)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Going back to the OP's question, I'd look at Lancias.

If not Italian, then a Jag would be quite likely.

Money no object....Maserati. :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Well the Seat is on an 02 plate with 50K on the clock and we have had it for around6 months and it is going back into the garage for the third time this morning - EML is coming on again.

Local Seat dealer is pretty good to be fair.

Had the Alfa for 3 months and its been pretty good (Touch wood), although it is only 5 months old.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
If Alfa didn't exist then, like Nomad, I'd probably look to the best the japanese have to offer including Suburu whom I regard as quirky and off the wall in the way Alfa used to be. I always remark when I see a legacy Sw and a boxer engine, well, you know where I'm going.

I might stretch my budget for my next car in which case I'd return to Europe and look at the Mercedes CLS, either new in the form of a diesel or go bonkers and buy a used 5.4 (heck, they drink less than a 3.2 Brera!).

·
Registered
5,559 Posts

When you need a new car, look at ALL the options, try them out. Then try some that perhaps don't immediately spring to mind, you might just dig up a surprise.

My next car may be another Alfa. But it probably won't, not because I have anything against Alfa, there's just too many good cars out there :lol:
Fair point. On the other hand, I never stuck to a single marque - until I got my first Alfa :)

That said, whilst I am only buying Alfas for myself, I do share an E-type Jag convertible with my dad for special occasions/summer, and drive my mum's BMW when we need an estate car, and drive the girl's Mini when going somewhere I don't want to park the Alfa. So even if I do keep buying only Alfas, I'll still be enjoying other marques (well, the E-Type anyway!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts