Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brera's got roughly 120k on the clock, but only service stamps for the PDI, dated 30/07/08, plus the following services (all main dealer):

18/06/09 - 17,914 miles
11/05/10 - 36,036
06/04/11 - 53845
13/01/11 - 75768 (I assume that should have been 13/01/12, it's easy enough to do early in January)

Given the lack of history, but having found an air filter that had a manufactured date from 2012, I wrote to the previous owner and asked if they could give me any more info. I've had the following back as part of an email:

"The car was also serviced by the main dealers at 96,000 miles, which I forgot (and them) to have a formal stamp. Bauer Millet have ceased trading in Manchester and I'm not sure if they sent a record centrally to Alfa, it was subsequently serviced in 2014 via Halfords.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the above paperwork, but to my knowledge the cam belt hasn't been changed. In 2011 the car had a new DPF and alternator. Besides a replacement fly wheel there hasn't been any other major works carried out."

So, it was main dealer serviced for roughly 5 years and 100,000 miles. I'm sure halfrauds wouldn't have done the cam belt change if it hadn't already been done, but a main dealer should have done it at 5 years/90k which was it's last dealer service.

How likely is it that the belt wasn't done? I personally would have remembered, but I know some people don't take too much notice and just pay the bill. Having said that, an owner who knows that the DPF, alternator and flywheel have been done doesn't sound like one of them. What sort of reputation did Bauer Millet have for service work?

The other thing I'm wondering is would the flywheel have been changed without the clutch being done at the same time?

·
Registered
275 Posts
It doesn't sound likely its been done to me. Like you said, the fact that the previous owner remembered that the DPF and alternator in 2011 but doesn't think the belt was done in 2012, suggests the belt wasn't done.

Personally I'd budget to get it changed. At 120k I'd probably have been starting to think about a new one anyway. VAG for example run on 4 years and 60k I think. 100k is a long time for one belt.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Wouldn't take the risk! Get it done ASAP so you know it's been done and have the water pump done too. If you've got a blanked EGR consider have the swirl flaps deleted as the belt has to come off to get the inlet manifold off anyway. I think!

Guy

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My Mrs had some warranty work done on her works giulietta by bauer millet, they were fine.
The garage was on a side street behind the mini garage on chester road.
They had a hummer & ferrari in for work when we collected hers and from what I remember, the bloke on the front desk was well scatty, so I could understand the book not being stamped.
But I'd consider having it done, mine was done at 72,000 and I'll probably be having it done again at 126,000 as the car will be 10yrs old by then.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the advice guys, I'd pretty much decided to get it done but that's made my mind up for sure.

Any comments on the flywheel being done and not the clutch?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Cheers for the advice guys, I'd pretty much decided to get it done but that's made my mind up for sure.

Any comments on the flywheel being done and not the clutch?
Just had my Clutch & DMF done last week, my flywheel was in a bad state according to Dan at Autolusso North, Clutch still had plenty of bite, but I'm planning for the next 100k so it made sense to me to get it done. Maybe yours was done under warranty and that's all they were prepared to change?

Dan told me he had a 60k 159 in the other week that's DMF was shot to pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just had my Brera 2.4 timing belt and water pump changed (£460) all in and in and out in a day as well. I'm happy that I have changed both having had the horrible sinking feeling when the belt went on my old 156 at 35K on the clock a few years ago. Bought my Brera in October and she has 81K on the clock now and came with no service history at all. The garage said that it was likely that this belt was the original so shelling out to get it done was well justified in my book! The bad news is that he has advised that the flywheel and clutch need doing so that is next month's job for him I guess... The car came with a warranty - any chance that the worn flywheel and clutch might be covered by it?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Very doubtful they are classed as service items like brake pads and filter etc.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts