Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These graphs show exactly what VW were up to. It is staggering and VERY different from real world discrepancies.

In the first graph the orange line shows the pollution from the VW car, it has detected the test so is low. The green line is pollution from the car when they "fool" the VW into thinking it isn't under test conditions (by revering the NEDC test), so the difference between the orange and the green lines are the amount VW were FALSELY understating their pollution levels.

The second graph shows a test vehicle that doesn't have cheat software, so reversing the NEDC test doesn't make any difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And why aren't Euro and all other non US governments not opening proceedings against them? Its fraud, and at the expense of the environment, a perfect storm for Gov action you would have thought!

D

·
0 Posts
Mitsubishi and Peugeot have been caught this week so its probably deflected from VW?

D

·
0 Posts
And why aren't Euro and all other non US governments not opening proceedings against them? Its fraud, and at the expense of the environment, a perfect storm for Gov action you would have thought!
I'm wondering how many greedy pigs ex-politicians have their snouts in the director trough at these car companies?

Plus the governments are probably worried that they will up sticks.

D

·
0 Posts
No one has been caught doing what VW pulled.

VAG are the only ones.
Peugeot were raided this week by the anti-fraud squad because the UK said that real world emissions were higher than lab results so i'm going to presume thats why the raid was carried out because the anti-fraud squad wouldn't have got a search warrant if they didn't have evidence.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
but theres a huge difference between 'normal' emissions slightly being above the rules to that VW graph, that's outrageous. The other manufactures in Europe haven't done what VW have been proved to have done.

I dont get why there not being chased by every government and the EU

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
It becomes a problem because VW as a company are probably more valuable than some of the countries they sell their cars in

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Not that the UK will care. HMRC won't even go after corperation tax now, unless you are a window cleaner or you have an independent shop.

They will probably negotiate a ~5% compensation deal for the UK with the Environment Agency. It wouldn't surprise me if our government allowed VW to offshore their emissions to a different country and then get a rebate.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the UK:

-The problem goes away entirely or is passed off by the government as "a matter between the consumers and Volkswagen".
-The problem is sorted out last here in terms of reparations.

This must be having dire effects on the State of Lower Saxony's ~10% holding of the VAG Group (doh! I shouldn't mention state investments).

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isnt it 20% but with blocking rights on the board (highly illegal)?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Indeed. Porsche essentially did that to stop VW becoming a similar victim as MG Rover did to BMW. (Every time I think of the amazing T16 2.0 Turbo engine's fate, it makes me :( )

Worked very well, and still is. It remains to me one of the most confusing ways of conducting state-supported (ethically) corporate defence strategy.

Not illegal, but bizarre. As for the Lower Saxony holdings, I am not quite sure how that works or if it is illegal.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Heard discussion this evening about this topic and VW were mentioned but along with Peugeot, Mitsubishu and others (including FIAT). Not sure if they all had been doing the same as VW but they were all lumped in together. VW is probaly too important a company to be held fully to account really -don't hold out much hope for a satisfactory resolution to this.
When you see the estimated early deaths due to pollution in London alone for example (alleged to be over 9000 per year) this is bigger than just a car performance issue and deserves to be a much bigger story than it is. We can all draour own conclusions as to why it is not.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Peugeot were raided this week by the anti-fraud squad because the UK said that real world emissions were higher than lab results so i'm going to presume thats why the raid was carried out because the anti-fraud squad wouldn't have got a search warrant if they didn't have evidence.
Why would anyone expect real world emissions to match lab results. Everyone knows this is not the case.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Exactly. It's a benchmark.

They should do away with actual figures and just give ratings: A to F.
Same for fuel consumption.

Like fridges and washing machines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts