Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
Looking at getting a good set of Tyres for my Alfa 156 Selespeed.
When we bought the car it had these really crappy - KINGSTAR tyres..... probably the cheapest thing the dealer could buy.....

Anyhow the wheels are STANDARD ALFA ALLOYS - is this tyre size correct ? 205 55 R16 91V
I am just a bit affraid the dealer did not fit the correct tyre sizes in his bid to get the cheapest tyre......

The alloys are the standard 156/147 alloy which has 5 holes.... please see the pictures if you are confused.

My independant mechanic suggest I get FALCON tyres.... ARE THESE ANY GOOD? Advice sort.....

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I have the same wheels on my 156. The tyre specification is 205/55 R16 91W.

I'm on my second set of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx which I bought from www.mytyres.co.uk and had fitted locally.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
pm, what engine do you have?

B

·
0 Posts
pmptrading said:
My independant mechanic suggest I get FALCON tyres.... ARE THESE ANY GOOD? Advice sort.....
;) I'd imagine he's referring to Falken tyres........nowt wrong with'em for everyday use and they look pretty good in most cases.

:p I'm running on Khumo's of sorts,they've never let me down and last for about 18 months/thousand miles on the GTV.......that's good in my book :D

:rolleyes: You can spend an absolute fortune on fancy name tyres which will offer no real benefit in everyday driving......theres one I can think of that folk get terribly excited about apart from the fact "they go egg shaped after 6K or so"........WTF?,and they are not cheap either!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I have Dunlop SP Sport 2000e's on mine (£60 each) and the wife has Pirelli P Zero Rosso's on hers (£90 each). The PZ's aren't worth the extra as the Dunlops are great. Both driven hard and fronts changed at 22k miles. Happy with that :)

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I forgot to mention,....

My Alfa 156 is a 2.0.
All Selespeeds in Australia are 2.0l.
All 4 cyclinder 156s in Australia are 2.0 - NO 1.6, NO 1.8

The 159s are 2.2 petrol, 3.2 V6 or 2.4 diesel.

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
I fitted Falken FK-452's to my 156 they are W rated and cost £50 each from my tyres. They are also Traction ratted AA which is highest.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
(pmp, I was half a sleep when I made that last post, I didn't notice you mentioned "Selespeed" in your post...)

Falken FK-452's were on my list of possibles for my latest set.

205/55R16 is the correct size.
Most Selespeeds came with 91W, but you could get away with 91V, but there is often no difference in price anyway.

(for any V6 owners reading this, you do need 91W)

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
What I was looking recently I found V's were always slightly cheaper than W rated. But then I've bouight most of my most recent tyres from the web and unable to negotiate as easily!

When I'm looking I tend to go for a well-known brand with Rim-protection. MY car has the sportpack alloys, and has always been running on W/Z rated tyres, although the Firestone Firehawks it came with weren't the best. I've been running on Dunlop SP8000s and 9000s since 2000 and have just moved to SP Sport Maxx (all directional tyres). The latest choice was mainly because Roswell pointed us in the direction of mytyres who seem to have messed up the price for a short time ... give them their due, they sold them at the lower price without a quibble. I probably would have stayed with Dunlop though.

Remember ... you get what you pay for!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts