Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.8 TS 16V wide body with 15" 6.5J Alfa alloy rims which at the moment are shod with 205 50 15 Goodyear Venturas.

I find the Venturas are grippy in the wet although they did not seem so good under straight line braking in the dry but that seemed to improve once they had worn down a bit. The prevoius tyres were NCT3's which seemed to 'tram line' a bit.

I need to replace the fronts - does anyone have a recommendation?

I have been offered a pair of Toyo Proxes T1 R (the new pattern) at what seems a reasonable price - anyone have experience of these on a 155?

Have had the 155 since nearly new and just don't want to part with it.

I'm new to the forum but have learned so much already!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used to have the T1-S on my car. They are very very grippy, even in the wet and I would buy them again if I could afford to change my tyres 3 times a year. I do a lot of hard miles and they don't last that long as they are quite soft.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You've really got to make your own mind up on this one. Everyone has their favourites. I suppose its a bit horses for courses, but also the set up of a particular car may well feel different with various tyres. The Toyos are fairly cheap but don't last very long. I think the new assymetric Michelin Exalto tyres so far seem very good on my 155, but as I don't have a complete set, I haven't tested them in extremis. However, they gave the 75TS good turn-in around Knockhill. :cool: An evergreen favourite seems to be the Goodyear F1s. They are definitely a level higher than Venturas or NCT3s. Unfortunately, F1s and Exaltos are the most expensive tyre in this size. :( I don't usually like Pirellis, as I often find insufficient casing strength for hard use. That said though, some people swear by them and a P6 shot 156 did once stay with my Ventura shot 155. :eek:

If you like really tight handling and sharp turn in, then I think Goodyear, Michelin, Yokohama or Bridgestone. However, if there is any suspension wear or poor setting of the tracking, then these tyres will show this up and feel unstable. :rolleyes:

More forgiving tyres such as the Toyos, Pirellis, Uniroyal, Continental, Avon, Dunlop or Firestone seem to give earlier warning of breakaway when the grip level is reached. They may not turn in quite so sharply but they seem to pick up suspension faults less readily. :)

Avoid Nangkang, Sime tyres, Hankook, Maxxis, Camac, Barum, Fate, Tigar, Trayal and GT tyres (Gajjah Tunnegal) as I think there are mostly dangerous due to very low grip levels. :eek: :eek:

Others which I am not sure about are Semperit, Courier, BF Goodrich, Nokian, Vredestein and Viking. I think that generally Stunner (Marangoni) and Kleber tyres are good for the money. That's about all I can think of. :rolleyes:

This is a difficult subject as there are not many people who have really tried all that many current tyres for the 155 (I think). It your decision. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I baought my 155 the came with 15/50/205 Champiro's.
Looking to change these soon as they are absoloutley dire in the damp conditions we've been having of late.
Although I thin changing by wishbones and droplink bushes will go some way to helping this.

A friend of mine had Verdstien on his punto sporting, seemed to grip pretty reasonable.

Think of the Uni Royal rainsport, or just getting a whole 16" wheel and tyre package.

Dom

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ally I have BFGoodrich Profiler G's on my 155 in a 205/40x17 and they are good for me and are made by Michelin, unfortunetly they have changed the pattern recently to a more Goodyear F1 type pattern from the old Exalto pattern which I have 3 of and 1 of the new pattern Bloody Nails :rant: :rant: .
I also used Nankangs on my old 75 and while they were cheep tyres I never felt unsure of what the car was doing, unlike the Pirelli P600's I had fitted they were like driving on ICE in the wet :eek: :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your advice.

Have gone for the Toyo T1R at what seemed to be a reasonable price and will post a report in due course.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Daiblack- I've not tryed BFGoodrich, but the previous pattern was fairly similar to the directional Exaltos. I will agree that the Nangkang EX500s are fairly consistent, but that's about as far as my praise goes. :)
Worn P600 on the rear of a previous Giulietta required attention! :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run the Toyo Proxes on my widebody V6, I liked the first set so much I bought the same a couple of years later.

They were first recommended by my mechanic, and they certainly suit the V6.

As an example, going "fast" around a roundabout you can keep accelerating and you start to feel the front wheels lose grip quite gradually. This is easy to correct simply by easing off the throttle slightly (and gently!), or bu turning harder.
I'm no expert driver, but this seems like a good trait for these tyres to have!
I'd agree with an earlier post that the initial turn-in isn't spectacular, but I doubt it ever will be in a heavy-fronted V6!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.