Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
as far as I know Philips Diamond Vision are not E marked so therefore not strictly road legal - but they are straight forward to change...

Y

·
0 Posts
The bulbs are a dual filament W21/5 I think. I bought some LED replacements for the running lights. They looked really good but the different resistance of the bulb causes an error on the cars computer and reports a bulb our on the display :cry:

So I gave up and still use the originals

·
Registered
713 Posts
The bulbs are a dual filament W21/5 I think. I bought some LED replacements for the running lights. They looked really good but the different resistance of the bulb causes an error on the cars computer and reports a bulb our on the display :cry:

So I gave up and still use the originals
You got any pictures of what the LED replacements looked like mate?

Y

·
0 Posts
Sorry i took them out stright away because of the dashboard warning. Each bulb has 18 high output leds on it (5 rows of 3 round the side and 3 lensed LEDS on the top). they are the same type of LED that you get on mobile phones as a torch or flash. The only way I can see for them to work without the warning on the dash is to put a load resistor across the terminals on the bulb so it has the same ohm rating as a normal bulb (Hmm might try that...).

Just need to know the resistance of a 5w 12v bulb, which I think is voltage over current. A 12v 5w bulb will draw a max of 2.5amps (please someone correct if im wrong on this!). I think R = V/I which would be 12/2.5 = 4.8 ohms as a loading resistor. so with that load across the terminals of the bulb the computer should think its a normal bulb.

If this is right ill get the resistors, fit the bulbs and take soem pics as they are extremely white!
:confused:

I really want tog et these bulbs working

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sorry i took them out stright away because of the dashboard warning. Each bulb has 18 high output leds on it (5 rows of 3 round the side and 3 lensed LEDS on the top). they are the same type of LED that you get on mobile phones as a torch or flash. The only way I can see for them to work without the warning on the dash is to put a load resistor across the terminals on the bulb so it has the same ohm rating as a normal bulb (Hmm might try that...).

Just need to know the resistance of a 5w 12v bulb, which I think is voltage over current. A 12v 5w bulb will draw a max of 2.5amps (please someone correct if im wrong on this!). I think R = V/I which would be 12/2.5 = 4.8 ohms as a loading resistor. so with that load across the terminals of the bulb the computer should think its a normal bulb.

If this is right ill get the resistors, fit the bulbs and take soem pics as they are extremely white!
:confused:

I really want tog et these bulbs working
To be honest all this ohms, volts, amps, current, resistance etc I forgot the day I no longer needed it. i.e when I was 18 years old, wish I could help, and wish I could actually remember any of this. If only when I was 18 years old that 8 years later all that information would actually come into use :cry: (Not much use for all that malarkey for my career path)

If you get it to work then pop a picture and tell us folks how to get it work, the LED lights sound cool! How much they cost you?

Y

·
0 Posts
To be honest all this ohms, volts, amps, current, resistance etc I forgot the day I no longer needed it. i.e when I was 18 years old, wish I could help, and wish I could actually remember any of this. If only when I was 18 years old that 8 years later all that information would actually come into use :cry: (Not much use for all that malarkey for my career path)

If you get it to work then pop a picture and tell us folks how to get it work, the LED lights sound cool! How much they cost you?
The bulbs were only a tenner. ill see if i can find some resistors tomorrow and try it.... Watch this space! :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
5W is between 350mA and 430mA (12V vs 14V) and equates to a resistance of between 29 and 39ohms.

If you put a 4.8ohm resistor across 12V (up to 14V+) then it will have to disipate between 30 and 41Watts - that is a fair amount for a resistor.

To model a normal filament blub using an LED and a resistor you need to statisfy the equation R = 144 / (OriginalBlubPower - LEDBlubCurrent*12).

GK

·
Registered
435 Posts
Very difficult to find new bulbs for this fitting... Tried searching everywhere already, but to no avail...

Y

·
0 Posts
5W is between 350mA and 430mA (12V vs 14V) and equates to a resistance of between 29 and 39ohms.

If you put a 4.8ohm resistor across 12V (up to 14V+) then it will have to disipate between 30 and 41Watts - that is a fair amount for a resistor.

To model a normal filament blub using an LED and a resistor you need to statisfy the equation R = 144 / (OriginalBlubPower - LEDBlubCurrent*12).

GK
Great! Thanks. I thought my maths was a bit off! ill get some resistors and have a go later. :)

Y

·
0 Posts
The ones I bought are turning into a bit of a mission to fit. Got the load resistors to use with the bulbs to ensure that the computer registers a bulb in there. The second problem is due to the multiple connections to deal with the dual filament bulb that is in there. The LED bulbs cant be used with a dual filament connection so you can only wire them for side light or Day Lights only, they wont work for both. Gonna have a mess around this weekend and take some photos to put on here and see what u think.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The ones I bought are turning into a bit of a mission to fit. Got the load resistors to use with the bulbs to ensure that the computer registers a bulb in there. The second problem is due to the multiple connections to deal with the dual filament bulb that is in there. The LED bulbs cant be used with a dual filament connection so you can only wire them for side light or Day Lights only, they wont work for both. Gonna have a mess around this weekend and take some photos to put on here and see what u think.
Thanks for the update! Just think, it will be worth it though! :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Been looking at this aswell, if you want to fit something for day and side light then your going to need a stop/tail light replacement LED bulb,
perhaps something like these http://global.ebay.com/2_X_7440_7443_WHITE_15_LED_BRAKE_STOP_TAIL_LIGHT_BULBS/290366480360/item.
Best to compare the fitting on the base of the original 21/5w bulb with the one your thinking of buying, not got round to taking mine out yet.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Guy's, do you think these would work since there double filament or because their low power, would the computer produce an error message?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think there'd be an error message :( they'd look so good though!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts