Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.

Anybody know what i can safely mix with 20K engine oil? The reason i ask is that my beloved 147 is in need of a top up and i cant get to the garage that sells it before Saturday. I was looking at Castrol but dont want to put anything in it that wont mix. I know that using the same grade is ok but what about semi and full synthetic oils? Can they be mixed safely?

Cheers

Paul.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
10W40 magnatex should be good as it's semi synth(IIRC) and available in Asda.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My 147 is filled up with only 10w 40 Magnatec. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You can mix any modern oil to be honest, but make sure you are using another 10W40 semi synth and it will make no difference at all... It's more important to have *any* oil in there than the specific one the manufacturer wants you to. Plus some of the modern oils will have come along a little in the 15 or so years since Selenia came out with 20k.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Nearly fully synthetic:lol:
I think it says sysntetic an the spec, but i'm sure it's only part synth.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
IIRC Selenia 20k is advertised as "synthetic based" - but I think it is a mineral oil fortified with synthetic to eek out 20,000 km between oil changes, hence the name. I'm pretty sure there is nothing that special about it other than that. I change my oil and filter every year anyway so it doesn't bother me :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, well thanks for the info. i will get some castrol oil later. :thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts