Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in a dilemma as I can’t decide whether to keep my GTV or sell it. I appreciate this is not the place necessarily for impartial advice but I’d welcome peoples thoughts on this.

So I bought my GTV as a project nearly 4 years ago and have over the time spent a great deal of time and money getting her to where I wanted her to be.

This is a picture on day 1

And this is how she looks now...

However this year is a big year for me and I’m planning on treating myself to a new Ford Mustang GT which has always been my aspiration but I know it will mean that the GTV will not get used.

I’m hardly using the Alfa now to be honest with annual mileage circa 2k, but I’ve invested so much time and money, circa £4k into the GTV I’ll be sad to see it go.

So do I sell the GTV or mothball it for a few years ?!

I’m lucky to have a big garage that’s dehumidified so mothballing the car is not a problem, but I don’t want to hold on to it for the sake of it. I feel if someone offered me the right money I’d sell it but downstream I know I’d regret it.

I also have no idea what the GTV is now worth and whether I’d even recoup my money spent !

I’d welcome your words of wisdom on this...

·
Registered
492 Posts
You never recoup your money really. How much did you buy it for? Looks nice.

What's the mileage? Other than the aesthetics, what's been done mechanically? What year is it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
You acknowledge storage is not a problem.

You acknowledge you would regret selling it.

You ask the alfa forum... should i keep a 916 :surprise: (by all accounts in stunning restored condition).

Its a no brainer, keep it, nothing to stop you having other projects.

Your in a privileged position, only sell a 916 when you cant afford it, or want to buy a better one, keep reminding yourself its better than money in the bank, which it is. :classic:

·
Registered
492 Posts
You acknowledge storage is not a problem.

You acknowledge you would regret selling it.

You ask the alfa forum... should i keep a 916
(by all accounts in stunning restored condition).

Its a no brainer, keep it, nothing to stop you having other projects.

Your in a privileged position, only sell a 916 when you cant afford it, or want to buy a better one, keep reminding yourself its better than money in the bank, which it is.
Sshhhh I might buy it haha

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You never recoup your money really. How much did you buy it for? Looks nice.

What's the mileage? Other than the aesthetics, what's been done mechanically? What year is it?

I paid £1950 for her, and she’s now up to 104k I think and a 2000MY model with 6 speed box.

Mechanically wise, where do I start ?! From memory this is what I’ve done in the last 4 years but I’m sure I’ve missed lots of other things ;

Clutch replaced
Fully serviced
Cambelt pulleys tensioners and water pump
New Water thermostat
Rocker cover gasket seals
Mass Airflow Sensor
New Coolant tank and coolant flushed / renewed
Koni Yellow adjustable suspension with Eibach springs
New top mounts
Suspension ‘flower pots’ and bump stops
Powder coated rear dog legs with Powerflex Bushes
Powder coated kidney pans with Powerflex Bushes
Power steering fluid changed
Goodridge braided brake hoses
Brake calipers refurb with new Brembo discs and pads
New brake fluid
New battery
New CV joints

Other mods:
Alloy wheels refurbished
Wizard Exhaust with straight through pipe and optional Centre silencer. (As still I can’t decided if it’s too loud or not !)
Alfatune Equal Length Downpipes
Rocker Covers painted wrinkle red
Chrome intakes rechromed.
BMC CDA Air Intake
Short shifter kit
Front and rear wheel spacers
Xenon Headlights
LED sidelights
LED mainbeam
C7 GTV Private Plate
GTV Cup kit
Brand new OEM front grill and badge
Genuine CUP rear badge
Genuine rear swivel boot badge

Alpine Headunit with IPod connection (and iPod!)
Alpine speakers
Alpine Amp
Rear (light) tinted window
Momo handbrake cover
New OEM gear knob
As new GTV Mats in grey
Genuine Alfa fitted indoor car cover
Full genuine Alfa GTV workshop manual

Known issues, as we all know the good work is never done !

Air con Condenser has a leak, I had the aircon system serviced and regassed last summer whereby it worked perfectly for a few months but there is a small leak in condenser so gas has escaped. That was my job for spring with a condenser being circa £250.

Airbag warning light just came on after I moved passenger seat ! Needs the passenger side pretensioner connection cleaned and reconnected. I just haven’t had time to do this yet.

Electric Aerial doesn’t work. I bought an after market one but it’s stupidly tall when up (I still have this). Replaced it with a used OEM Aerial but this broke not long after fitting. So gave up then as I don’t use radio anyway !

No spare wheel in car but does have full tool set and Alfa Puncture repair kit.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Going through a similar quandary myself...

Mine and yours are v.similar except I have a Q2 ,alfaholics kit and an smf and gta clutch...My mileage is 80k.

If you were selling when I was looking I would have bought your one for sure.

Lovely example.

I would definitely keep mine if storage were not an issue for me as the economy as a daily is not really a great idea on my mileage.

So.

Lovely car.

No storage issues

Unless you want to free up some funds I would keep it.

That said they are happier being driven and it would be a shame to just have it sat doing nought.

You know you would miss it though!

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
I’m lucky to have a big garage that’s dehumidified so mothballing the car is not a problem, but I don’t want to hold on to it for the sake of it. I feel if someone offered me the right money I’d sell it but downstream I know I’d regret it.

I think you have answered your own question.

Storage - no problem.
You know you would regret it.

You don't mention money so I guess that isn't an issue either.

Go on, keep it, you know you want to!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Jesus I'm impressed. And all that work for 4k seems v good.

And 1950 sounds like a good purchase price for a v6. Was it knackered when you bought it?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesus I'm impressed. And all that work for 4k seems v good.

And 1950 sounds like a good purchase price for a v6. Was it knackered when you bought it?

No it was well looked after mechanically, and one owner from new. It needed a clutch at the time and the paint work was really flat. I was lucky to land a great buy at the time.

My concern is if it’s laid up for a few years it will do it more harm than good. So am i best selling it so she get used?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Beautiful well sorted model in the right colour with all the tasteful upgrades done to her, I would say keep the car, have the fun in the Mustang for 2 years and then you can come back to a perfectly well sorted GTV enthusiasm back

·
Registered
950 Posts
So the maths are simple...£2k purchase price plus £4K into the car plus all the time and effort... Sell for 6K plus and you have just sold probably one of the best V6’s out there. I personally am not a fan of the cup kit but there are a few buyers who are! Good luck with the decision which is now on eBay at £6.5k so my maths aren’t too bad

·
Registered
950 Posts
So the maths are simple...£2k purchase price plus £4K into the car plus all the time and effort... Sell for 6K plus and you have just sold probably one of the best V6’s out there. I personally am not a fan of the cup kit but there are a few buyers who are! Good luck with the decision which is now on eBay at £6.5k so my maths aren’t too bad

·
Registered
266 Posts
I (sadly) sold mine for £5k back in September .... and I could've sold it 3x over. Could've def asked for more & it was a "good" one. Buyer bought it over the phone with deposit without even seeing it. It did have about 20k miles less than yours, but blimey you've practically re-built yours with all the relevant bits so I agree with the above - £6k at least.

PS - my buyer rang me before Xmas - I was fearing the worst .....but he just said he absolutely loves it & the GTV V6 is the best car he's ever had. Said it's incredibly under-rated. He came from a TVR 350i with the thundering 3.5 V8 as well.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nooooo don't do it

Just seen your post and ebay advert, most gtv' I see advertised I would want to tweak or change something however yours is stunning! colour, cup kit, red interior with the black carpet, exhaust, gtv private plate, that really is a gorgeous gtv and priced very keenly.

Personally I would take out the "make me a offer" from your eBay add but I'm sure it will get snapped up soon.

If you do sell it :-( Can I have first refusal of your gtv car cover :) lol! The gtv looks superb in your immaculate garage with that red cover on it.

I have a list of would like future cars and hadn't even considered a ford, Interesting choice of replacement car, mustangs do seem good value for the money, Have you test drive one? Was it a beast

If it was me I would keep it, my v6 spends most of its time parked up looking pretty, but can't bring myself to sell it.

Good luck with the sale, please post some pics when you get your mustang ��

You seen the mustang review on you tube?

Lol!

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts