Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! So, I recently got an Alfa 164 TS for nearly free. I googled a bit and found this forum..

The previous owner parked it and left it outside, in 2007, and it has been in the same spot since then. He told us that there is some rust on the frame and a dead fuel pump, so we know we are going to fix that.

But, I guess there are things we should check out before trying to run it... any alfa/164 specific or other important parts that should be replaced directly or carefully inspected?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It's a wonderful feeling when they fire up again for the first time in many years! I guess the first thing I'd do would be to start it up and just let it idle for 5 minutes or so, checking for any leaks from anywhere. Then blip the throttle a bit every now and then - not more than 3000 revs during the next 5 minutes. Depress the clutch and see if it will engage gears - even just 1st and reverse. With the engine running, press the brake pedal and hold it. See if it sinks gradually.

By this time, the engine should be starting to get warm. Feel the hoses and see if any are getting warm. Top hose should be the first, as the thermostat opens. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and see that it doesn't overheat (thermostat may be seized shut). If the thermostat opens, the top hose should get hot and then the radiator. Continue running it and feel the radiator core as best you can (tricky if it has aircon). Check that the cooling fan cuts in at the appropriate temperature and then shut it down and dump the oil. Replace oil and filter.

After that (assuming all legal requirements are met!) take it for a gentle run and see if any brakes are binding. Don't be surprised if the ride is awful and the tyres have developed flat spots through standing.

If the 2.0 cars have a gearbox oil dipstick like the 3.0 ones, check the gearbox oil level and colour.

·
Registered
108 Posts
But the fire up will be tricky with a dead fuel pump. I would check the rust issue first to see how bad it is and if OK then negotiate a price according to the dead fuel pump. Ultimately it could be a dead engine - until you can fire it up you will never know. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Aaaarrggghh! Just wrote a long reply and it wouldn't submit! Gone now...

OK, deep breath... start again...

Once it has done a few short runs, get it up to a good speed on a deserted road and stand on the brakes to see if the ABS comes in. Check the tyre sidewalls (inner and outer) for cracks each week and the tread for lumps or bulges.

Replace brake and clutch fluid and spark plugs. Also the fuel filter (which if it's like an early 3 litre, wil lbe a cannister under the back of the car near the rear axle). The unions are banjo bolts, use new copper washers or anneal the old ones.

Check the steel brake pipes for rust especially round the fuel tank and rear subframe. Check the subframe too. In my experience, 164s hide their rust under the bituminous underseal so they look much better than they really are. Have a really good poke round all 4 jacking points. If the underseal comes away at any point, peel / scrape it back until you get to a bit that is soundly stuck to the bottom of the car. They tend to develop rust UNDER the underseal and if you wait until it bubbles through, it will be much worse than if you scraped off the underseal and treated the surface rust.

Check the rubber cuff that joins the fuel filler neck to the fuel tank. Alfa had the brilliant idea of using stainless hose clips with mild steel worm drives so the band looks fantastic but the thing is actually loose because the worm has rusted. (Don't ask me how I found that one out)!

I'd be inclined to replace ALL the high pressure rubber fuel hoses on the car. Not sure what the 2.0 is like but on the early 3.0 there are small ones on the bulkhead behind the engine and they're a pig to get to. On the subject of fire risks, (again if the 2.0 is like the early 3.0) pull the carpet out of the boot on the left and check the 40Amp fuse for the heated rear screen. I got a boot full of smoke one day, but it could have been MUCH worse! The terminals corrode adn develop a high resistance.

After a few drives, check the steering rack gaiters and drive shaft CV gaiters again. The rubber may have gone hard and split once the car started moving around again.

You'll be finding stupid little things for months, but keep at it and you'll have a decent car. Does it have climate control or air conditioning?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
But the fire up will be tricky with a dead fuel pump. I would check the rust issue first to see how bad it is and if OK then negotiate a price according to the dead fuel pump. Ultimately it could be a dead engine - until you can fire it up you will never know. Good luck.
Good point, I just assumed it was already his!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there! So, I recently got an Alfa 164 TS for nearly free. I googled a bit and found this forum..

The previous owner parked it and left it outside, in 2007, and it has been in the same spot since then. He told us that there is some rust on the frame and a dead fuel pump, so we know we are going to fix that.

But, I guess there are things we should check out before trying to run it... any alfa/164 specific or other important parts that should be replaced directly or carefully inspected?

Thanks
There is a lot of knowledge in Sweden too. Check Club Alfa Romeo Svezia and AlfaPower out. And join Club Alfa Romeo Svezia

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts