Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, not new on the forum but new to the Giulietta section.

I'm wanting to upgrade from my Mito 1.4 95 bhp. I bought it as a first car and to learn in and its done me well. It wasn't very powerful but it was powerful enough for a learner.

Now iv'e been driving a couple of years and have clocked quite a few miles i want to upgrade to something more powerful and a bit more spacious.

I test drove a 170bhp Giulietta today at my local shop and of course compared to the 95bhp mito it was phenomenal.

Although the 170 was great i want the 235bhp Giulietta because of all the extras that come standard on them. All of which i would want to put onto the 170 if i bought that. so after adding all the extras the 235bhp version is only £1000 more and thats not including the alloys.

Basically am i making the right decision? any one had any bad experiences? anyone managed to make a good deal at the dealers which i should try?( free parking sensors etc)

Also colour ideas would be appreciated - i would go for the red or white but around where i live EVERY Giulietta is red or white so i was thinking the anthracite grey?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Before you do anything talk to your insurance company. You may be shocked by the difference between the 95hp Mito and the 235hp Giulietta for a young relatively inexperienced driver with limited NCB

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally, I like the anthracite grey because it sets off the red calipers and the green badges. I would go for the parking sensors, heated seats and lumbar support. I've noticed that pricing issue also. No brainer in my view.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before you do anything talk to your insurance company. You may be shocked by the difference between the 95hp Mito and the 235hp Giulietta for a young relatively inexperienced driver with limited NCB
Already have done and its not that bad actually

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you've got your heart set on the Cloverleaf its worth spending the extra. I would have got it instead of the diesel had I not bought a house and wanted to keep the beloved money pit (166).

Anthracite is a lovely colour have you thought about Etna black ? It also a bit different to the Red and White.

If you do join the G fold you wont regret it !

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the etna black but i dont.think it shows off the lines like the other colours do, plus im not very good at cleaning black cars!

Always wished that i got the mito in grey so thats why i thought i should get this grey

whats the lumbar thing? The model i drove today was just a basic 170 with no extras so didnt get the chance to see the extras that i wanted

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's a mechanism that alters the lower part of the seat to support your back , it's electric in the G though if it's selected , compared to the manual one that's standard in the top mitos

·
Registered
489 Posts
Anthracite very nice

You really are serious! This is color our Giulietta will be in , + i saw just yesterday a Cloverleaf in that color very nice/rare, also went well with the 18'' titanium alloys.
Our Mito is also Grey which i think shows lines of car off very well, but really like the off white color.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really are serious! This is color our Giulietta will be in , + i saw just yesterday a Cloverleaf in that color very nice/rare, also went well with the 18'' titanium alloys.
Our Mito is also Grey which i think shows lines of car off very well, but really like the off white color.
Good choice

I also like thw white and would probably go for it if i hadnt had a white mito- it wouldnt feel AS new as getting a different colour,

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much should i be expecting to pay -ish-

Cars parked in a locked garage over night
been driving 2 years
30,000 miles
full time student
19 years old
access to other cars
not driven at peak times or at night on weekends.

Iv'e tried a few different comparison sites, and had dramatically different results :s

nothing ridiculous yet considering my age ect.

surprisingly the same comparison website gave me higher quotes for the 170bhp than the 235bhp? dont know how that works :lol:

edit- pay for insurance

·
Registered
329 Posts
How much should i be expecting to pay -ish-

Cars parked in a locked garage over night
been driving 2 years
30,000 miles
full time student
19 years old
access to other cars
not driven at peak times or at night on weekends.

Iv'e tried a few different comparison sites, and had dramatically different results :s

nothing ridiculous yet considering my age ect.

surprisingly the same comparison website gave me higher quotes for the 170bhp than the 235bhp? dont know how that works :lol:

edit- pay for insurance
My 170 was £605 a year, im 21, 2 years no claims! Nice to see another young person with an alfa!! :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheapest quote i could get was £3000 which i guess is expected, might have to go with the 170bhp. get a few more quotes and see what happens

Tesco insurance wanted £8000!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Im 22 but my Giulietta is a salary sacrifice car so its insured through my organisation, last time I renewed my insurance on the 166 however ASDA insurance quoted me £28,000, safe to say didnt go with them, got it down to £550 with quinn I think.

Put as many middle aged people on the policy as possible seems to help me and my mates get reasonable insurance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Put as many middle aged people on the policy as possible seems to help me and my mates get reasonable insurance.
Agreed. I got a quote today for my new MA (I'm 27 but have only been driving for a year) - was £1100 but when I added my GF who has been driving 10 years (as a second driver) it came down to £680!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my dad owns a small classic car company so i might try and put it on a fleet insurance scheme

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Well my dad owns a small classic car company so i might try and put it on a fleet insurance scheme
Don't forget if you do you never will build up a NCB. I had a company car as my only wheels for 23 years and when I came to insure my own car I got 1 years introductory (because I had had a company car) and the next year it was one year again.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think thats part of the problem, ive been on my dads insurence since ive started driving( because he drives the car too)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wonder if the insurance companies have a good handle on what they are quoting for.
Several big names had some problems finding the G 1.4 MA in the little drop down list of theirs
and TCT became a huge debate as to whether it was manual or not.(ended up manual)
For the car you've got I thought the insurance was pretty reasonable but I'm 41 and have no claims.
so they know they ahve been rinsing me for decades already .lol
I do wonder if it ever came to crunch time they'd question what spec they had insured....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts