Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Re: What to buy: iTo or Fiat 500 Abarth?

:lol: :lol:

I'll take both!!

I like them a lot, I just like the MiTo lots for some reason. I don't know why though :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

Its a tough question,

I had the same choice a couple of weeks ago.

I went in with a very open mind, infact I was pre-disposed toward the MiTo.

I bought the Abarth.

Make of that what you will. For the premium Alfa want on the MiTo, for me, it doesnt live up to the hype.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is the same argument I'm having with myself, I want a smaller slightly more economical car that is a lot fun to drive and looks good. My list for testing/looking at are:

1) MiTo - +ve it's an Alfa, loads of tech, BOSE. -VE not sure about the looks, worried about the steering feel, expensive.
2) GP Abarth - +VE looks good, reasonable price. -VE not that economical, questions about ride quality.
3) 500 Abarth - +ve love the standard 500, economy, just looks fun. -ve worried it could be too small, possible ride issue.
4) Ford Fiesta zetec s - +ve practical, good drive, cheaper to buy. -ve it's a Ford, everyone and their mother will have one.

Granted that is all based on pictures and reviews by the car mags, start the looking process this weekend, off to Rockingham to look at the GP and my friend who works at a car hire company is bringing the Fiesta home this weekend to play.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the same argument I'm having with myself, I want a smaller slightly more economical car that is a lot fun to drive and looks good. My list for testing/looking at are:

1) MiTo - +ve it's an Alfa, loads of tech, BOSE. -VE not sure about the looks, worried about the steering feel, expensive.
2) GP Abarth - +VE looks good, reasonable price. -VE not that economical, questions about ride quality.
3) 500 Abarth - +ve love the standard 500, economy, just looks fun. -ve worried it could be too small, possible ride issue.
4) Ford Fiesta zetec s - +ve practical, good drive, cheaper to buy. -ve it's a Ford, everyone and their mother will have one.

Granted that is all based on pictures and reviews by the car mags, start the looking process this weekend, off to Rockingham to look at the GP and my friend who works at a car hire company is bringing the Fiesta home this weekend to play.
Olopboy.........you took the words right out of my mouth!

I agree on the positives and negatives, have to say theres no way i'd have a Fiesta.......well its a Fiesta.

The MiTo and 500 are on my list but i'm maybe thinking that BOTH are too small for 20,000 miles a year of motorway driving?

TBH a preowned GT might be the way forward!

A

·
0 Posts

Its a tough question,

I had the same choice a couple of weeks ago.

I went in with a very open mind, infact I was pre-disposed toward the MiTo.

I bought the Abarth.

Make of that what you will. For the premium Alfa want on the MiTo, for me, it doesnt live up to the hype.
what you talking about?
its way better looking than the abarth.
its way cheaper than the mini.
the mito deserves the hype fullstop.

A

·
0 Posts
Olopboy.........you took the words right out of my mouth!

I agree on the positives and negatives, have to say theres no way i'd have a Fiesta.......well its a Fiesta.

The MiTo and 500 are on my list but i'm maybe thinking that BOTH are too small for 20,000 miles a year of motorway driving?

TBH a preowned GT might be the way forward!
todays small cars are very comfortable and very well equipped... cannot see you having any major issues with the mito on long journeys...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
One of the MiTo's best, most well-documented traits is its refinement on long journeys. I don't think, especially with a 120/155bhp engine, you'll have any problems with 20k miles every year.

·
Registered
631 Posts

what you talking about?
You may have noticed every post euroboy makes is pretty much in favour of the MiTo but when it came down to it he just prefered the 500A, and that was after driving both and even then he says it's his own opinion. TBH just on looks I would do the same, I just prefer the 500A. Also why the sudden mini reference no-one has mentioned that thing in this thread?

It's all very well really liking a new car but some of your posts to people not agreeing with you almost look like the MiTo is the second coming and they should all repent instantly.

It's a nice little car, and more than likely one I will own, but give others a little bit of slack if they don't agree you.

Although I do agree with berating people when they try that 'it's not a real Alfa' thing :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
One of the MiTo's best, most well-documented traits is its refinement on long journeys. I don't think, especially with a 120/155bhp engine, you'll have any problems with 20k miles every year.
Is it, I've not seen any long term tests on it yet, just seen the comments from the Alfa press weekend where they say it's comfy.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

what you talking about?
Please come back to the thread when

a) You have seen an Abarth in the flesh.
b) You have seen a MiTo in the flesh.
c) Extensively driven an Abarth.
d) Extensively driven a Mito.
e) Specced both up with the dealers and come to a final decision.

Then, and only then will your opinion on the matter be credible - as it stands I cant take your posts seriously.

I love Alfas as much as the next person on this board, I have driven them most of my motoring life and in the process spent 10s of thousands of pounds.

If the MiTo had been the better car for my needs/preferences, trust me, I would have bought it.

The fact of the matter is that the MiTo was carrying a 4k premium on the Abarth in the specs I wanted, and quite simply there wasnt 4k's worth more car.

The dynamics of the Abarth are better, this is to be expected and not a particular criticism of the MiTo.

IMO the interior of the Abarth is nicer, but I didnt have a chance to see a leather MiTo, which may alter my opinion.

Overall the MiTo seemed quite muted to me, no real 'fizz' to it, if you get my drift - whereas the Abarth has bags and bags of character.

When you have had experience of both, please feel free to come back and discuss further, but seeing as you are out in Oz, I imagine that'll be some time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm looking for a replacement to my 147 GTA and I'v considered both the Mito and 500 Abarth. Unfortunately neither of them are imported to Finland at the moment and nobody knows if they ever will be.

Therefore I will have to import the car from Germany or somewhere else in the continental Europe and I can't base my decision on test drives since that is not possible.

My decision has been that I will buy a 500 Abarth

while waiting for the Mito GTA. ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
My decision has been that I will buy a 500 Abarth

while waiting for the Mito GTA. ;)
Not sure if that's a compromise or having your cake and eating it :)

Sounds like plan though!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,299 Posts

It's all very well really liking a new car but some of your posts to people not agreeing with you almost look like the MiTo is the second coming and they should all repent instantly.
...but it is; and they should :confused: :confused: :confused:
:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts