Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what size wheels should be fitted to my 1984 Sprint as the ones that are on it do not fit as I found two nights ago when one worked loose. They do not fit on the hub properly (too small and are just sat on the hub with a few threads of the wheel bolt securing them).

The wheels that are fitted have something like '15 1\2 J x13 H2/40 (it is partially obscured by paint so that might not be quite right):rant:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hi Spud
The early Sprints had 5J x 13" wheels, then went to 5 1/2"J x 13 then went to 5 1/2"J x 14" but it sounds like your problem is the thickness of the hub section - you can get longer bolts from car accessory shops.
(There were some early Sprints with an obscure metric size wheel I believe)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
You should have about 8mm of the wheel bolt threaded into the hub if I remember correctly.

Also wheel bolts designed for steel wheels do not fit alloy wheels.

The wheel should fit snugly over the hub centre ring and sit flat against the hub - what wheels do you have on there now - standard Alfa wheels?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should have about 8mm of the wheel bolt threaded into the hub if I remember correctly.

Also wheel bolts designed for steel wheels do not fit alloy wheels.

The wheel should fit snugly over the hub centre ring and sit flat against the hub - what wheels do you have on there now - standard Alfa wheels?
The wheels on there do not fit on the hub, the size of wheel I have on there is listed in my first post (cant see it while I type this)
The issue is not with the wheel bolts, they are all correct for the alloy wheels, the wheels say alfa romeo on them and look like wheels I have seen on other sprints, they just dont fit!:confused:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
There were some early Sprints with an obscure metric size wheel I believe
yes, they were on some Sud QV too.
You had a 50/50 chance of getting the 14" with 185/60R14 or the metric with (I think) 190/55R340.
You only have a choice of one tyre with the metrics: Michelin TRX. No one ever held the tyres in stock and it is actually cheaper to buy another set of new 14" rims & tyres...!

The 195/55R340 are about £180 each... :lol:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any way of finding out what size should be fitted to my sprint? will imperial wheels fit if metrics where on there originally?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Is there any way of finding out what size should be fitted to my sprint? will imperial wheels fit if metrics where on there originally?
Yes you can fit normal imperial wheels where metrics were originally fitted. Most of the cars with metrics fitted will already have had them replaced with normal imperial wheels due to the cost of the metric tyres anyway.

I think an 84 would have had 5 1/2 x 14" with 185/60R14

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The wheels on there do not fit on the hub, the size of wheel I have on there is listed in my first post (cant see it while I type this)
The issue is not with the wheel bolts, they are all correct for the alloy wheels, the wheels say alfa romeo on them and look like wheels I have seen on other sprints, they just dont fit!:confused:
Early Alfa hubs were 58.6mm and later wheels are 58.1mm, seems unlikely that you'd have later wheels on the car though as cant be many 13" wheels around

Yes you can fit normal imperial wheels where metrics were originally fitted. Most of the cars with metrics fitted will already have had them replaced with normal imperial wheels due to the cost of the metric tyres anyway.

I think an 84 would have had 5 1/2 x 14" with 185/60R14
I had 5 1/2 x 14" on one of my '84 1.5 Sprints and metric wheels on an earlier one - metric wheels are a pain to get tyres for

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I didn't think the different centre-bore applied to the Sud though.
I know people have used 4-stud 164 wheels on Suds, so I'd assumed Suds were 58.1 too.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Dave you may be right.....I remember I tried to fit Lancia Integrale wheels to my 1.7 Sprint and the bore of the wheels was just that fraction too small.

(just thinking about that now as the 1.7 had the later 33 suspension so maybe later type hubs are 58.6mm ??)

The wheels in that ebay pic are they Fiat wheels as I dont think I've seen them on a standard Sprint?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Early Alfa hubs were 58.6mm and later wheels are 58.1mm, seems unlikely that you'd have later wheels on the car though as cant be many 13" wheels around

I had 5 1/2 x 14" on one of my '84 1.5 Sprints and metric wheels on an earlier one - metric wheels are a pain to get tyres for
The wheels that came on the car were not the originals, the previous owner changed them before I baught the car, it stands to reason then that I have old hubs (58.6mm) with later wheels (for 58.1mm hubs) and that is why they will not fit onto the hub. Ok, any one got a set of wheels for sale??:D

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Just a thought......do you have the same problem with all 4 wheels as I'm not 100% sure about the hub size thing now ? :lol:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a thought......do you have the same problem with all 4 wheels as I'm not 100% sure about the hub size thing now ? :lol:
Yes, all of the wheels are having the same problem, will not go onto the hub, cant believe the guy sold it like that! he is a member of this forum too!:tut:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Dave you may be right.....I remember I tried to fit Lancia Integrale wheels to my 1.7 Sprint and the bore of the wheels was just that fraction too small.
I ran a set of 15" Revolutions than came from an Integrale on my Sud.
But they were not oem rims.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The wheels that came on the car were not the originals, the previous owner changed them before I baught the car, it stands to reason then that I have old hubs (58.6mm) with later wheels (for 58.1mm hubs) and that is why they will not fit onto the hub. Ok, any one got a set of wheels for sale??:D
I've got some spare Sprint alloy wheels - A set of lots of holes and a set of not so many holes! (I think there are pics on my early 6C thread - Page 5 on the Silver Sprint-):lol:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Hope you get it sorted out and thankfully nothing too serious happened :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts