Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title, I need to remove steering wheel as it is slightly off centre , but just need to know what size socket will I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Mines off as well but more likely the balancing and tracking I reckon. I wouldn't adjust unless u sure.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had 4 wheel alignement done so shoud be ok. Wheel was taken off at same time, to fit replacement indicator stalk, but wheel not put back on quite straight. Also windscreen washers now not working so all needs to come off to check whats up with it.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Alexandrus.

A

·
0 Posts
You're welcome.
Be careful with the steering wheel, it might be off center even after you move it, because of tracking. After changing the bushes on my car, rear ones and ARBs ones, no matter how I put the steering wheel it was either a bit to the left or a bit to the right, but tracking fixed it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The nut that holds onto the steering wheel is probably on average about 5ft 10, and weighs somewhere around 13/14 stone....

Oh, you said the nut that holds the steering wheel on, I got confused.... :)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The nut that holds onto the steering wheel is probably on average about 5ft 10, and weighs somewhere around 13/14 stone....

Oh, you said the nut that holds the steering wheel on, I got confused.... :)
Ho Ho....:lol:

C

·
0 Posts
As per title, I need to remove steering wheel as it is slightly off centre , but just need to know what size socket will I need?

Thanks
24mm but you really should hook it up to Fiat ecu scan and see what the steering angle is being read as being on centre and the lock to lock positions before you start moving the wheel relative to the rack.

Edit...

Ah, its a 156 GTA (don't think the above is relevant? no ESP...) and its off centre because you've been playing with the indicator switches. In which case it shouldnt be a problem.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Some 156s do have a steering angle sensor - my 04 plate 16v JTD for one. I'm not sure about the GTAs, I can't remember if they have the indicator relay there or the steering angle sensor. Perhaps its only the full facelift cars that got the angle sensor. But it is a good call. You have to go into the diagnostic unit labelled Bosch ABS VDC not Bosch ABS ASR (this doesn't allow communication with the steering angle sensor if one is fitted)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hmm thats a bit above my ability - I'll just stick it back on and hope for the best...

A

·
0 Posts
All 156 have the indicator relay on the steering stalk. And all of the VDC enabled cars have the steering position sensor, so even the ones with just the interior facelift.
I have no idea if the 156 GTA does have a steering angle sensor, but I will check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts