Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine sticks to 70C and rarely hits 80/90. Is this normal. Have been looking at a few threads where TS and JTS's needed new thermostats.

Only thing is, the previous owner had a a new coolant temp sensor fitted on mine only about a year ago!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You need a new stat, I changed mine and it runs at 90 now, which is where it should be.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a new stat, I changed mine and it runs at 90 now, which is where it should be.
Is this the same for 2.4 as 1.9? Also, what are the chances of the new one failing so quickly?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
the previous owner had a a new coolant temp sensor fitted on mine only about a year ago!
Is this the same for 2.4 as 1.9? Also, what are the chances of the new one failing so quickly?
You said the previous owner changed the temp sensor.
He said you need a new thermostat.
Different parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What are the circumstances of the temperature change, does the car take a while to warm up then sit at 70 most of the time only getting up to 90 in traffic, if so you need a new thermostat regardless of the engine size.

I can't comment on how long they last, I'm on Alfa number three and this was the first time I had to change one, so it's probably the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the circumstances of the temperature change, does the car take a while to warm up then sit at 70 most of the time only getting up to 90 in traffic, if so you need a new thermostat regardless of the engine size.
QUOTE]

yeah that's pretty much how it is, went up a bit on dual carriage way yesterday, but usually sticks to 70C.

Does anyone know, is the temp sensor part of the stat?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Changed my thermostat on my JTD recently. the temp sender is fitted to the thermostat housing. when purchasing a new thermostat you have to buy the whole housing which comes with a new sender fitted already.

got mine from:
Fiat Parts and Alfa Romeo Parts from Shop4Parts

stick in the details of your model and search for the relevant ones. as for the 2.4 and 1.9 it depends which versions of these engines you have, (ie 8v/16v 1.9L or 10v/20v 2.4L)

the car should sit at 90C or very close to, mine stays at about 85C on the dial and never moves now. changing the stat isnt too bad and will increase your economy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts