Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, since getting my gtv i've fallen in love again the engine note and looks always keep me smiling. Now I'm thinking she could be a keeper with low kms for her age and in relativley standard form and good condition.

so i was wondering where do i start if i wanted to give her some botox......i've heard whispers of powerflex and q2 diffs and the obvious exhaust but money is limited and was hoping to replace things that when they go are likley to take out other components.

also i heard alfa's drink a lot of oil and was wondering how often it should be changed kms as opposed to time?

i must say since getting the gtv that this site has been treasure trove of information, and i'm throghly hooked!

R

·
0 Posts
also i heard alfa's drink a lot of oil
Less of an issue with a V6, mine doesn't need any between sevices. As for where to spend your money, my vote will always go to making sure everything is mechanically perfect before any uneccessary titivation. This alone should take care of most of that pesky spare cash!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
As for where to spend your money, my vote will always go to making sure everything is mechanically perfect before any uneccessary titivation.
Agree with that. My view is you should try and keep it in as original a condition as possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep your money in your wallet for fixing it... powerflex or alternative is going to be neccessary. Budget for the cambelt change, cooling system which will probably go. Battery at some stage.
Straight away replace the air filter and give it an oil change. Then go to the exhaust shop.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Worth spending the money and getting a q2 done double the price if it goes before u do.

·
Registered
767 Posts
1. Engile oil replacement every max 10.000 km/once a year. Don't use Selenia...
2. Powerflex bushes for the rear end. The OEM ones will fail sooner or later.
3. Replace worn shocks; I hear that they are cheap in the UK, but do fit the Monroes or a complete set of sport shocks
4. Replacing the OEM springs, but if you do, replace the OEM shocks with sport shocks
5. Change the cambelt if it hasn't been done. Should be changed every 100.000 km/60.000 for the TS.

·
Registered
684 Posts
1. Engile oil replacement every max 10.000 km/once a year. Don't use Selenia...
2. Powerflex bushes for the rear end. The OEM ones will fail sooner or later.
3. Replace worn shocks; I hear that they are cheap in the UK, but do fit the Monroes or a complete set of sport shocks
4. Replacing the OEM springs, but if you do, replace the OEM shocks with sport shocks
5. Change the cambelt if it hasn't been done. Should be changed every 100.000 km/60.000 for the TS.
Why should we use Selenia

K

·
0 Posts
I think that may have been revised to every 3 years/36000 miles. Can any TS ownwres confirm?
Yes, that is the word from Alfa. If anything the 3 years is the more important as the material deteriorates even at a stand still

D

·
0 Posts
i use mobil 1, never uses a drop in between my oil changes (every 3 mths)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so how do i know when the diff is on the way out? any tell tale signs i should be looking for? the car is a 2000 model v6 24v with 45oookms.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think that may have been revised to every 3 years/36000 miles. Can any TS ownwres confirm?
Yes, as I have said: every 3 years or 60.000 km for the TS and the V6 interval stayed the same - 100.000 km. Sorry for not using imperial measurements or whatever they are called :lol:

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is what i've splashed cash on so far, Eibach springs/Koni shocks, rear powerflexed, new front arms, and four Michelin Pilot tyres, cost over £2000, but result , a stunning car to drive !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts