Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get a wide bodied 155 1.8 but I wanted to know should I get the old 8v engine or the newer 16v as I have been told that the 8v engine is better even though it is older.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 8v 1.8 and a 2.0 16v. 8v feels as quick and none of the expense or risk of cam belts/variators etc.

Also, the power delivery is lower down the rev range on the 8v, making it easier to use.

Finally, 8v engines are basically indestructible if well oiled.

I much prefer my 8v car.

Course, somebody else will come along and say the 16v is so much better because........??????

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think the 16v is sportier with that bit more oomph, but you pay for that. You have to replave the variator from time to time and also the cam belt.

Nothing like the good old 8v which is by no means a slouch and has a cam chain (thank the lord!) which makes reliability excellant and servicing cheap. They also use cheap spark plugs compared to the 16v.

So, if you have the money and the patience the 16v is better, if you wanta trouble-free car the 8v. One thing is that that you won`t find many wide-bodies 8vs. There may be a few from when Alfa switched production over, but they will be an exception and you will almost always find 8v means skinny and 16v means wide-body.

W

·
0 Posts
Chris is correct, wide 8v's were only made between April/May 1995 and April/May 1996 when the 1.8 16v was used.

2.0 16v was used from the 1995 date so only the 1.8 gets confusing :D

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
wizard69 said:
I have an 8v 1.8 and a 2.0 16v. 8v feels as quick and none of the expense or risk of cam belts/variators etc.
My 2.0 16v was definately faster than my 1.8 8v, and definately faster than the 2.0 8v i'm currently driving when pushing it. I'm very suprised you think they're of similar speed.

N

·
0 Posts
Hi All, I've just registered to this forum to try and get some technical help for something completely unrelated to this topic but got interested none the less. I bought my '96 wide body sportpack just over three years ago, it had already had an engine replacement due to a crank faliure. The engine was replaced with a 1.8 Bv from a 95 car (or so I'm told). I have not had any problems with the engine what so ever, and I feel very greatfull that I can drive around without having to worry about cambelts! I am terified of cambelts, has it been done, was it done when it says it was done, is the milage correct? etc etc. I have no gribes with the performance either, I've driven a 2.0 16V which was impressive but the insurance was sky high.

Does any one know anything about fuel vapours and intermitant leaks from the vapour release pipe?

M

·
0 Posts
Chris said:
There may be a few from when Alfa switched production over, but they will be an exception and you will almost always find 8v means skinny and 16v means wide-body.
I have wide body 1.7 8v ;) It could be more powerful, but still - i get nice MPG anyway

N

·
0 Posts
8v are better as i have worked on the 16v with knackered crank and heads and they are expensive when they go wrong.
I can't belive that the same 16v engine was used in the 147 and 156 but they are still having the problem with cambelts going and knakering up the crank and always on pot 2. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I´m very satisfied with my 1,8 8V done 71.000 miles and still fresh ready for action :D Love the sound above 4000rpm.

M

·
0 Posts
My 2litre 16v is much quicker than my old Silverstone 1.8litre 8v.

The 8v feels more robust. I feel a little scared razzing the 16v as I'm waiting for the belt or associated parts to go ping.

I eventually got my Silverstone to 144bhp which is slightly more powerful than the 1.8litre 16v, but I think the power delivery of the 1.8litre 8v lets it down.

It has such a daft torque curve and you really need to keep it up at high revs. Max torque on my 8v was delivered at 5500rpm with max power at 6100rpm.
Considering the standard 1.8litre 8v redlines at 6300rpm (if I remember) you don't have a lot of revs seeing as the torque is VERY low until you hit about 4200rpm where it shoots almost straight up to max !!!

The 16v will be easier to drive "normally" than the 8v in 1.8litre form.

A

·
0 Posts
I have just bought a 95 1.8 8v, am quiet disappointed with it, the power delivery is diabolical for an 8v, and as it seems to come on song the bloody limiter cuts in!! Mines done 94k miles and is totally standard, the first thing i did was to take the pipes off the airbox that go over the radiator / exhaust manifold and the car goes much better than it did and sounds lovely, is there any way i can increase the rev limiter?? and what performance mods can be done to increase the bhp/torque? Is it worth getting a K&N panel filter for it, or a chip, exhaust system, de-cat pipe? is it really worth spending the money on?

P

·
0 Posts
I've got a 1.8 16v and I really don't get all the fuss about the cost of belts and stuff.

I've just had cambelt, tensioner and variator done on mine using genuine Alfa bits, fitted by an Alfa mechanic, in an Alfa garage, including oil and filter change for £250 all in.

Only thing that's annoyed me about mine was losing the little key that switches the alarm on and off - the one in the glovebox not the remote. I think AR have a cheek to want me to buy an entire lockset etc for £800 just to turn the alarm back on.

M

·
0 Posts
Pete M said:
I've got a 1.8 16v and I really don't get all the fuss about the cost of belts and stuff.

I've just had cambelt, tensioner and variator done on mine using genuine Alfa bits, fitted by an Alfa mechanic, in an Alfa garage, including oil and filter change for £250 all in.
That's because that's a lot less than most places will charge, by at least £100. And on the 2.0 16v you have balancer shaft belts too, you'd be hard pushed to find someone who'll do everything for less than £450. Go to a main dealer and you'll be charged considerably more.

Pete M said:
Only thing that's annoyed me about mine was losing the little key that switches the alarm on and off - the one in the glovebox not the remote. I think AR have a cheek to want me to buy an entire lockset etc for £800 just to turn the alarm back on.
Not thought about this before, but if it's just a switch can't you cut the wires on the back and wire them into a new switch? Unfortunately i don't have one anymore to be able to have a look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts