Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to solve the smokey start of my 2.4 and the lumpy idle. What is the next thing I should try, none of the following have worked...

1. Replaced glow plugs
2. Replaced glow plug relay
3. Reseated injectors with new copper washers
4. Used Shell Nitro Plus
5. Several tanks with Millers Eco Diesel Additive
6. A tank with a can of BG244
7. Italian tune-up

...so what now?

1. ECU cold start update? (If so who can do this, I am in Nottingham)
2. More aggressive attempt to remove soot deposits? (If so what and who)
3. Something else?

The car only has 61k on the clock, so was hoping for a few more miles out of the old beast.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Smokey start is to be expected and there is nothing that you can do about it.
Lumpy idle is probably EGR and/or manifold related - blank the EGR and clean the manifold (not easy to clean the manifold though).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took off the throttle and gave it a good clean. That sorted my lumpy idle out completely. I also cleaned as much soot as I could scrape out of the inlet manifold but didn't take that off to take it apart due to need to remove belt.

I still have the cold start issue and would get the ECU update but I am planning a remap as I have blanked off the EGR valve (to prevent more deposits) and that would wipe out the ecu update.

I think if I did clean out the inlet manifold properly it might sort the cold start issue.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I took off the throttle and gave it a good clean. That sorted my lumpy idle out completely. I also cleaned as much soot as I could scrape out of the inlet manifold but didn't take that off to take it apart due to need to remove belt.

I still have the cold start issue and would get the ECU update but I am planning a remap as I have blanked off the EGR valve (to prevent more deposits) and that would wipe out the ecu update.

I think if I did clean out the inlet manifold properly it might sort the cold start issue.

I'd try the ecu update first, seems to have solved many others issues out. As for the manifold, I'd be inclined to wait until your cambelt needs doing ( if anytime in the near future as it'll have to come off as part of the process) z

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts