Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up there that, for no reason, pops out every now & then.

Be it a song, a fact, a memory, something with no relevance to anything that, unbidden, leaps to the forefront of your consciousness?

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
I think FAR too much.

So everything irrelevant is ALWAYS in my head :(

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Horrible thoughts that simply aren't true. The fear of growing old alone, and a massive fear of abandonment.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
I'm afraid I'm on a constant tickover of scenarios and it's all a bit of a mad jumble really.

It means that at work I can usually click to what I need pretty efficiently and in that context it's a bit like when I was at school and always had a good memory for facts etc.

It also means that sometimes I'm in my own world, and, for example, can partake in conversations in the car with the family then 5 mins later ask one of them a question which basically reveals that I have no residual memory of the conversation we've shared. I can be incredibly forgetful - actually it's not forgetting if it never registers in the first place:

my wife: "love will you put this bin bag out, pls?" (pointing at bin bag on work top next to me
me: "yeah, course i will love"

I then pick up keys, loose change, stuff them into pocket, collect laptop case and head for the front door, sans bin bag.

It's largely because all of the time I'm ticking over with little snippets of stuff, some of it trivial, some of it quite important.

I need to spend a little more time organising myself, being seen to organise myself and being tangibly capable of engaging with my family on things that are important to them. Birthdays, anniversaries etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
During the day its always a mixture of random stuff, I tend not to write things down so constantly have things that need doing at work rolling around in my head, at night I try to switch off and tend to concentrate on the fun things in life.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I'm afraid I'm on a constant tickover of scenarios and it's all a bit of a mad jumble really.

It means that at work I can usually click to what I need pretty efficiently and in that context it's a bit like when I was at school and always had a good memory for facts etc.

It also means that sometimes I'm in my own world, and, for example, can partake in conversations in the car with the family then 5 mins later ask one of them a question which basically reveals that I have no residual memory of the conversation we've shared. I can be incredibly forgetful - actually it's not forgetting if it never registers in the first place:

my wife: "love will you put this bin bag out, pls?" (pointing at bin bag on work top next to me
me: "yeah, course i will love"

I then pick up keys, loose change, stuff them into pocket, collect laptop case and head for the front door, sans bin bag.
I'm pretty much like this. Mr PG has a list for everything, which in itself is slightly scary :eek: whereas I do try to be organised, but fail dismally. Apart from at school. There I'm so organised it scares me! It's as if I become a different person when I go through the school gate.

At home I go into a kind of dreamworld and can listen and take part in conversations that I then totally forget and, when I ask later, am accused of not listening :( I think I hear, but don't listen. I think it's because I have so much to think about my consciousness is on tick-over while my brains tries to make sense of everything else!

I have loads of useless information stuffed in my head, which make me good at quizzes and recall exams. I don't like doing quizzes with people I know though. The local pub does a monthly quiz and I refuse to go, even though the jackpot is about £500 now. I just hate people prejudging me because I'm a teacher. If we're on holiday I'll happily do the quiz and, without wanting to sound bigheaded, usually come in the top 3 :)

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
We should form a team Steve :thumbs: Unless, of course, you only know the things I do :lol:

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
I'm going to be more specific now

I overthink.
I worry and get anxious.

In my head recently have been a million scenarios, I went to meet a friend who normally contacts me the night before for the finer details. He didn't. So in my head he was
A) not going to turn up
B) was upset with me for some reason
C) was going to turn up but be horrid :(

Even when I called in the morning to say I had arrived and he said he was just round the corner I didn't think he was going to come until I saw him.

When he got there we had dinner and everything was normal, all angst out of my head :confused:

I think like this ALL the time.

If hubby sounds stressed on the phone (normally something at work) I worry relentlessly until he gets home.

Unanswered emails and texts leave me reeling in the put of my stomach, I've overstepped the Mark, or irritated whoever I'm texting.

I also read far too much into the written word, and read things out of context :eek:

On top of that I'm a dirty filthy beast, so I've constantly got naughty thoughts up there, too :(

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Song lyrics. Always. Someone only has to say something that is similar to a line in a song and I'm off.
Today it's Eminem's Space Bound because in my book last night the climber looked up through the roof of the crevasse he is stuck in and saw the stars wondering what had happened to his climbing partner:

"Promise me you'll think of me, every time you look up in the sky and see a star cos I'm a..."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts