Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to replace the stereo in my Spider - mainly since the display is unreadable on the existing original unit.

I'd like one with (at least) a front panel AUX in, or ideally an iPod connection. But the main thing is it's got to be silver to fit in with the console. Black would just look too weird.

Don't need fantastic sound quality - I drive with the roof down whenever possible, and I'm not planning on replacing the speakers either.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If you do replace the standard head unit do some research on here into wiring. Some GTV's with the single disc Clarion cd player have non iso standard wiring, when you plug a new head unit in to the existing connectors there is constant live and the battery starts to go flat.

I speak from experience!

and in answer to your question I always buy Alpine, never disappointed.

cheers
MC

·
Registered
535 Posts
just regarding the point above.

do you have anymore specific info on the non standard bit. to avoid the symptoms you just mentioned of staying on etc??

What specification would you have to give to get a stezza thats compatible with the wiring.

I ask because my stezza in the cup (the standard one) really is woefull. So im looking to upgrade to!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

I have just fitted a JVC unit to mine with the ipod connector. I spent a fair bit of time thinking about the final look. I will take a pic ASAP and post it up.

Berni

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine is fine. You have to swap the red and yellow cables over on the adaptor and you may also need an aerial adaptor. I fitted mine in 15min without any problems.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
just regarding the point above.

do you have anymore specific info on the non standard bit. to avoid the symptoms you just mentioned of staying on etc??

What specification would you have to give to get a stezza thats compatible with the wiring.

I ask because my stezza in the cup (the standard one) really is woefull. So im looking to upgrade to!
It's not a case of buying stereo that's compatible with the wiring, all stereos these days have 2 x ISO standard plugs on the back. one for speakers and one for power, earth and ancillarys. The issue is the alfa loom supplys constant live on the pin that should be ignition switched to the stereo

It is really easy to modify the alfa wiring, so don't let that put you off.

In my car there was a white junction box in the passenger footwell marker clarion. all i had to do was open it and swap a pin from one location to another. Job done. do a search there is a thread on here with pics etc.

cheers
MC

·
Registered
29 Posts
can i ask about your oem stereo your replacing, is it the single cd version, if so i might be interested if you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
as above.. you need to switch to red - yellow. One is constant live from the battery and one is run off ACC

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine is fine. You have to swap the red and yellow cables over on the adaptor and you may also need an aerial adaptor. I fitted mine in 15min without any problems.
Blue.Spider,

Looks brillant. I have been putting off changing mine but now I just might get motived.

Would be nice to see how berni29 turned out is it the same unit.

Thanks

Sam

·
Registered
27 Posts
can i ask about your oem stereo your replacing, is it the single cd version, if so i might be interested if you decide to sell it.
Mine is a single CD and I may sell it. It is in good condition complete with fraame and code card. Make me an offer!

D

·
0 Posts
now that explains why my car cranks over slowly, just been to have a look at it and when i flip the face down with the unit switched off the c.d eject button is lit, only way round it would be to remove the face? or what other solution is there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help needed with replacement stereo

I have recently installed a Sony CDX-GT33U in a 2000 registered Alfa Spider. The installation all went well with the exception of the power supply which I hear is a problem for many Alfa owners. The instructions give 3 different configurations for the yellow and red power cables, I have tried all of them yet still have a continuous power supply going through to the head unit. Does anyone know any easy ways of solving this sytem???

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
I have an Alpine CDE-101E in my GTV, compared to the original Clarion the sound is in another league. It plugged straight in apart from the antenna needing an adaptor.

It has a single disc, as well as a USB input. I normally transfer files to a USB stick and play direct from that.

I had a Sony CDX-GT4104U in My Fiat coupe which was also very good, although I think the Alpine sounds slightly better, especially when playing MP3's.

You will realise how bad the original units sound quality is when you replace it, buying the Alpine was one of the best £110 I have spent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not a case of buying stereo that's compatible with the wiring, all stereos these days have 2 x ISO standard plugs on the back. one for speakers and one for power, earth and ancillarys. The issue is the alfa loom supplys constant live on the pin that should be ignition switched to the stereo

It is really easy to modify the alfa wiring, so don't let that put you off.

In my car there was a white junction box in the passenger footwell marker clarion. all i had to do was open it and swap a pin from one location to another. Job done. do a search there is a thread on here with pics etc.

cheers
MC
Just fitted a cheap new unit which sounds great but looks not so good but I cant switch it off!
Tried swopping the red and white leads but it makes no difference...
Can anyone point me to the thread referred to in the post above please to see if I can sort it:)
Thanks

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
On most steres you need to swap the red and yellow wires.

There are usually two power leads from the car, one constant and one switched. The constant one is for the stereo memory, the switched for the on/off. If you have them both connected to the non switched side you will be able to turn the radio off with the ignition off.

On my Alpine (I still have it but it isn't fitted to my G) there are bullet connectors on the red and yellow leads to enable them to be swapped around.

As they are both +12v inputs you shouldn't damage anything by swapping them about.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On most steres you need to swap the red and yellow wires.

There are usually two power leads from the car, one constant and one switched. The constant one is for the stereo memory, the switched for the on/off. If you have them both connected to the non switched side you will be able to turn the radio off with the ignition off.

On my Alpine (I still have it but it isn't fitted to my G) there are bullet connectors on the red and yellow leads to enable them to be swapped around.

As they are both +12v inputs you shouldn't damage anything by swapping them about.
Thanks for the reply....
Swopped red and yellow bullet connectors and it still stays on...When i take the front panel off the stereo though the aerial retracts so I presume that means its powering down...
I can live with doing that I suppose if I can't sort it.
Ta again mate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts