Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am gonna go for a Brera. Found a few in UK and will import one in a couple of weeks.
Means I need to sell my 146.

It's an '00 with 85k (miles) on the clock.
Reasonable nick - some minor scratches on the body work.
Have 17" 205x40 wheels on her, but also have the original 5 hole alloys with 2k on the tyres to throw in.

What price do ppl think is reasonable?
have seen some on carzone/cbg which are >€2k which surprised me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's about 2k man. What is the history and colour bud?
Blue (see avatar). Will probably put a proper ad up soon once I get her cleaned up.

SH: There is lies a problem. I'm second owner (bought with 72k on clock in '05) but no service history came with it as previous owner didn't see fit to keep it :mad: Why don't Irish car owners keep SHs :confused:

TBH it was my first Alfa and I was looking for a 146 for a couple of months. Then one came up and I went to see it. The clutch was gone so couldn't test drive it :cry:
Eventually the dealer decided to put the work in - new clutch, brake overhaul, new tyres, and of course belt, etc.
Took her for a test drive and was smitten - paying €5k. Had the 156 for ~6mnths by then, but the 146 was so much better to handle.

One of the wheels was badly curbed so replaced them with the 17s (Fox Racing R4 Super Silver Evo) 'cos the tyres slowly kept going flat.

Now - she's taxed to March, NCT'd 'till Mar'10.
Needs to get variator done (and probably cam belt as now 3yrs since it was done) so was gonna take a chunk of change off for it.

D

·
0 Posts
Ahh right ya, I know what you mean, it took me ages to find the right one and I did eventually. And I love it. They do handle good:D If I had a spot to leave your car I would buy it. Just for spares.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you should have seen the first few I looked at :rolleyes:

One a Red '00 in O'Dwyers (local Mazda dealer) here in Limerick looked to be in great shape...
But on test drive seemed to be a good amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Pulled up into an industrial estate and found a spot which was sheltered from the wind and revved her a bit....
:wow: OMG - I couldn't see with the amount of blue tinged smoke around the car.
Went back, and got the guy to walk round the car with me. He spun a yarn how his mate was the original owner, etc., and that it was in great nick - only 55k miles, yada yada. Opened the hood, eventually got the oil cover off and showed him -> oodles of white scum all over it. Some mate.... He went quiet. What amazed me most was that they had the gaul to put this out on the forecourt - surely they knew. :tut:
It stayed there for 3wks while I searched until it went missing one day. I asked about it, and it was sold. Poor sod whoever bought that...

Anyways - back to my dilema.
I'd feel very guilty knowingly selling it for spares. Of course anyone could buy it and then do that without my knowledge but to actually condemn the car to that faith would be harsh. Not sure if I could do it...

Maybe I gave wrong impression above - but the car is far from a stinker. Drive it every day and she's perfectly acceptable. Just that there's a few jobs that need doing. Had thought the car would be in the 3k region and I could still drop a good bit off to sell quickly, but at 2k it's gonna be tough...

·
Registered
13,001 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here's some pics..
Need to get her cleaned up for the real photo shoot ;) but gives good overall impression anyways
photos

Everytime I look I need to check out the Brera to remind me why I'm doing this :rolleyes:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crikey, is one not enough for you ? :lol:
Who can blame him...
I've driven 156, 159, Brera, 147 and the 146. Hands down the 146 is the best handling.
Get a nice twisty part of the road, and she's brilliant.
Just went down to Waterford a few weekends ago and there's this nice section of road between Carrick and Kilmeadan (more towards Kilmeaden) just after a low lying bridge where it twists up the hill - you can push the 146 up the hill, and the handling is perfect!!
Did the same in a 156 and it's not as tight! Only better car (and I mean this) for that section of road was a Fiat 126 Bis -> 600CC of raw power, but rear wheel drive ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Ya they are a savage handling car a car Alfa got very right they are the dirty secret in the range. That and the 155

1 - 20 of 41 Posts