Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question.
For years I have used powder based polish on my cars.
The problem is that they never seem to bring them up as well as those in car showrooms.
I've always used olour magic to get rid of any tiny surface scratches.
Does anybody know what polish they use at dealers to make their cars look like new?
Is it wax/oil based polish?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Colour magic is really good stuff. I use it about once every six months (usually in the Summer). Coupled with the coloured T cut stuff for light scratches they make a good pair.

I tend to use wax it wet after each wash and Autoglum Ultra Deep Shine followed by the Gold gloss finish stuff fairly regularly. Take a look at my pics and you'll see that my near 3 year old 156 looks as good as it did the day it was born :cool:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I always use Auto Glym super resin polish, followed up with Auto Glym extra gloss protection, does the job for me. :D

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I used to use Auto Glym super resin, but I've started using Zymol - not the mad expensive ones, just the pale blue one you can get in Halfords. I find it a lot harder to use than the super resin, but I think it gives a better finish.

To be honest though, I think it's about technique just as much as product.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
jamieboy said:
To be honest though, I think it's about technique just as much as product.
Too true, I spent a fair bit of time on http://www.detailingworld.com/ trying to find the best way to care for my car.

Loads of good info there just lying on the surface waiting to be taken ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't believe there's a forum dedicated to cleaning! lol

I love the internet!
Looks like I now have to find more hour to trawl that site too - combined with the Alfa GTV trawling this is turning into a full-time occupation.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't believe there's a forum dedicated to cleaning! lol

I love the internet!
Looks like I now have to find more hour to trawl that site too - combined with the Alfa GTV trawling this is turning into a full-time occupation.

·
Registered
429 Posts
in terms of "bang for buck" there's a stuff called "MAX WAX".

i think b&q and homebase etc sell it, it's only a few quid, but it's actually damn good stuff. it's easy to come off, even when the paintwork's hot, and it isn't really prone to leaving white marks on trim etc.

another stuff i use i can't remember the name of, i think it's "HOT WAX". you wash & rinse the car normally, then put hot wax in clean water, and apply the water to the car with a sponge. rinse it off, and dry with a chamois. couldn't be easier

word of warning to those users of colour magic, remember that colour magic and it's imitators are abrasive, they remove a thin film of paint every time they're used. my old 75 was regularly colour waxed by it's p.o. to the point where the red paint had worn through to primer !!
also. the paint was so thin, it faded really quick, and the slightest bit of water left rain stains everywhere

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
quattrothedog said:
in terms of "bang for buck" there's a stuff called "MAX WAX".

word of warning to those users of colour magic, remember that colour magic and it's imitators are abrasive, they remove a thin film of paint every time they're used......
Good tip but colour magic is ever so slightly abrasive, probably no more so than Autoglym UDS or the likes. It a wax that contains a colour pigment. Colour Fast by T Cut is the rough stuff and needs care when used.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I use "Mer". Like some of the others mentioned, it removes a fine layer of dead oxidised paint, but this is what brings up the sheen. By the time I sold my previous car - a wee Fiat punto- it was ten years old and had never been garaged in its life. I waxed it with Mer regularly and the paintwork looked brand new. Brilliant stuff. Its not gimicky - its hard work, unlike some of the brands that promise to merely wipe on and wipe off. But the results are rewarding, and unlike some other waxes, you can polish your car in direct sunlight too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I usually use Autoglym Super resin polish and the Ultra deep shine, i however have started using the Megulairs gold class range, and found that works much better!

Though its horses for courses, ive found some things work on some colours better than others.... Sometimes i use a combination of all three built up in seperate layers and that works well.... Needless though im sure! lol.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Ah polish...

I tend to use Colour Magic most as Tarquini is black and Autoglym Super Resin and Mer (my other two favourites) tend to be a bit powdery.

I don't mind the slightly abrasive nature of the Colour Magic as Tarquini must have passed through the asteroid belt on the way back from Jupiter and the paint has a lot of marks scuffs and abrasions in it. CM does a good job of reducung them over time (until new ones appear!) and it hides them quite well in the meantime.

I do find that the other polishes leave a slightly deeper shine though. Mer would tend to get the nod over Autoglym RS as it is a lot easier to apply (dusty though..!).

The main weapon in paint protection though is quantity rather than quality. Even Homebase "own-brand" polish applied every week is going to leave your car nicer looking than a once a year application of the "Best Polish on the Planet".

Ralf S.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Totally agree...

Do you ever find yourself adding another layer, or two, or three (not guilty honest!) just to be sure??? :eek:

I do it everytime! lol...

And i usually do my car every other weekend when i dont have my daughter staying as it usually takes me the best part of the day to do!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Used the Autoglym super resin polish today.

WOW!! :D

It has made my car shine even more then it did before.
So little effort to get a good result.

FYI I used a microfibre cloth to remove it (as recommended by a guy from chipsaway).

Amazing!

B

·
0 Posts
:D I just slop a load of Mer over my car twice a year.......the stuff goes on like custard and takes nearly an hour to polish off once dry.

:p Good stuff,a quick rinse brings the shine back.....all this polishing the car every Sunday morning lark just isn't right after all.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always used to use the auto glym super resin, but then the shop i work in got the mequires range, all 5 of us in there now use it, if you get the tech wax the next time you try and wash it's hard because it beads the water that quickly, good deep shine as well gets my vote every time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
meguaires deep chrystal polish, followed by meguairs nxt tech wax:)
and clay bar if its nescessary. use top quality cloths too (microfibre ones).
ive been known to spend 8 hours of the day polishing mine :D

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I use auto glym aswell car shampoo and polish, also got the leather cleaner and cream care stuff :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts